• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photo industry superstar hype

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Ok.....well obviously Iam not about to mention names but what is the deal ???? You know, I hear about these various shooters in my industry (wedding) who are making these revolutionary images, amazing creative prowess...yada yada yada. Sheesh, I see guys who are producing work at a level which you would expect given the dollars we are charging. We have these pro bodies (one of which I belong to) who perpetuate the mtyh. There seems to be so much BS it is ridiculous.

Paul

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Paul

I understand what you mean by
who are making these revolutionary images, amazing creative prowess...yada yada yada
but, sorry seen from Bordeaux, I don't understand your general meaning, could you explain further...

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Hey Nicolas,

really I am as usual rebelling against the established hierarchy. Pretentious self serving industry wankers. Not to say that there is not some great work on display, some of the talent is unique & inspiring.

Paul

Paul Bestwick

pro member
I need to get back to Europe for a while..........drink some nice red. Not sure about Paris though......great place but since I don't speak French I have a hard time getting about.

Cheers,

Paul

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
But some of it isn't, a lot of the work in the wedding market which I work in is substandard in quality. Yes the composition is good but nothing, and I mean nothing else is up to pro standards, often by a long stretch and IMO mainly due to an arrogance which says that jpg is good enough for their art and who cares about horrible colour noise, horrible exposure, joke skin tones, etc.

Of course I get flamed every time I've even tried to mention it for impugning their 'art' and for this strange idea I have that at their price point and with their reputations there should be both the incredible photography and incredible quality end results....

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
The Wedding trade Show for one,.....

I am just back from WPPI. Being that my first career is finance, with heavy emphasis on Marketing what you are seeing is total buzz and marketing saavy. Well packaged and positioned. Images (of the photographer and not literal ones) polished.

The demos of how they posed their subjects was amazing. More than half of the images were so heavy on photoshop that you can almost question if they brides were taken, the shots we just so-so to bad and then magically redone in PS.

I saw thousands of images this past few days. I am all for storytelling. I saw so much junk - almost snapshots. I also saw some wonderfully fine art.

Some of the photographers were so down to earth and humble. I saw them standing around and talking to the new people and old friends. Their art was amazing.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hey Nicolas,

really I am as usual rebelling against the established hierarchy. Pretentious self serving industry wankers. Not to say that there is not some great work on display, some of the talent is unique & inspiring.

Paul

Ok

I get it. Don't worry, forget them, keep going ahead with good work. You know it always pays on the long term...

About Paris, don't be scared about your "French" after some good red wine testing, you'll either speak French fluently either won't need any more to speak! LOL ! -)