• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Another Workflow Method..

Another approach I use and am doing on the "Diva" story is this..

When the Raw image has been imported in to Camera Raw, I Sharpen at between 25-30 on the slider and 50 on Color Noise Reduction, Luminance Smoothing at Zero. Click OK.

When in Photoshop, go to Layers and make a Duplicate Layer. Now Desaturate the image. Go to the Layers Menu and click on Soft Light. Now, because you didn't use the Contrast Unsharp move, i.e. 10-15 percent at 40-60 pixels you can push the Opacity and Fill sliders much harder. 60 to 90 percent. When back in PS you can now push up your overall Saturation if so desired by +5 to +10 to compensate in the loss of Saturation produced by adding the B&W layer. I don't, I like that Desaturated look. It's a matter of taste..

Ben

You can compare it to other method that is posted at:
http://pentaxlife.com/benjamin-kanarek-post-processing-method#more-213

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Thanks Benjamin for this, I'll give it a try…

My turn:
Download my sharpness script

- If needed, denoise 1st
- Do what you wish to your file (colors, curves, levels, filters, enlarge etc.)
- Apply the script from PS CS2 or CS3.

It will provide you in LAB space with an untouched background and a sharpened layer, set as 70% so you may adjust… percentage and blending

I hope you'll enjoy it…

Ron Morse

Thanks Benjamin for this, I'll give it a try…

My turn:
Download my sharpness script

- If needed, denoise 1st
- Do what you wish to your file (colors, curves, levels, filters, enlarge etc.)
- Apply the script from PS CS2 or CS3.

It will provide you in LAB space with an untouched background and a sharpened layer, set as 70% so you may adjust… percentage and blending

I hope you'll enjoy it…

Nicolas, will your action work only on a MAC?

Ron Morse

I thought that I would give it a try Nicolas but when I tried to install it here " C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Presets\Photoshop Actions\Sharpness_Claris.atn " and extract it, it said this file is password protected. What did I do wrong?

nicolas claris

Bonsoir Ron
I really don't know... but for sure it is not password protected!

On a Mac it goes to the "photoshop script" folder.
I know it works on PC as it has been installed on one of our PC (XP), but not by me...

Let me know if you still can't install it and I'll check tomorow morning (French time) at our office…

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Ray West

Hi Ron,

Installed OK on my xp pc - unzipped it to desktop then dragged it to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Presets\Photoshop Actions did you unzip it OK?

Best wishes,

Ray

Ron Morse

Hi Ron,

Installed OK on my xp pc - unzipped it to desktop then dragged it to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Presets\Photoshop Actions did you unzip it OK?

Best wishes,

Ray

Thanks Ray. I ran it through a second time doing nothing different and it went right through.
Works great.

I will also have to give Bens method a try.
Any help that I can get is very much appreciated.

I just had the system reinsalled on my computer. While working on this I found a setting in photoshop that had got changed and fixed that. I'm a very happy camper tonight.

nicolas claris

Another approach I use and am doing on the "Diva" story is this..

When the Raw image has been imported in to Camera Raw, I Sharpen at between 25-30 on the slider and 50 on Color Noise Reduction, Luminance Smoothing at Zero. Click OK.

When in Photoshop, go to Layers and make a Duplicate Layer. Now Desaturate the image. Go to the Layers Menu and click on Soft Light. Now, because you didn't use the Contrast Unsharp move, i.e. 10-15 percent at 40-60 pixels you can push the Opacity and Fill sliders much harder. 60 to 90 percent. When back in PS you can now push up your overall Saturation if so desired by +5 to +10 to compensate in the loss of Saturation produced by adding the B&W layer. I don't, I like that Desaturated look. It's a matter of taste..

Ben

You can compare it to other method that is posted at:
http://pentaxlife.com/benjamin-kanarek-post-processing-method#more-213

Bonjour Benjamin

I've tried your workflow
Though I don't convert my raw files with ACR (can't understand how others can get good result with it) but I tried your workflow with an image from C1.
Now I understand that your workflow is much more about overall light and contrast than on sharpness (though contrasts do bring some sharpness).
I'm a bit dissapointed by our explanations (still my poor English!) in order to give a better try, could you explain more step by step... :

In PS:
- make a Duplicate Layer---------------------------->ok
- Desaturate the image or the layer?
- set Layer to Soft Light. ---------------------------->ok

- Now, because you didn't use the Contrast Unsharp move, i.e. 10-15 percent at 40-60 pixels
you can push the Opacity and Fill sliders much harder. 60 to 90 percent.
What should we really do here? USM at 10-15 percent at 40-60 pixels? on the layer or on the background image?

back in PS you can now push up your overall Saturation if so desired by +5 to +10 to compensate in the loss of Saturation produced by adding the B&W layer
Aren't we already in PS?

Thanks in advance for the clarifications!

Method

Bonjour Benjamin

I've tried your workflow
Though I don't convert my raw files with ACR (can't understand how others can get good result with it) but I tried your workflow with an image from C1.
Now I understand that your workflow is much more about overall light and contrast than on sharpness (though contrasts do bring some sharpness).
I'm a bit dissapointed by our explanations (still my poor English!) in order to give a better try, could you explain more step by step... :

In PS:
- make a Duplicate Layer---------------------------->ok
- Desaturate the image or the layer?
- set Layer to Soft Light. ---------------------------->ok

- Now, because you didn't use the Contrast Unsharp move, i.e. 10-15 percent at 40-60 pixels
you can push the Opacity and Fill sliders much harder. 60 to 90 percent.
What should we really do here? USM at 10-15 percent at 40-60 pixels? on the layer or on the background image?

back in PS you can now push up your overall Saturation if so desired by +5 to +10 to compensate in the loss of Saturation produced by adding the B&W layer
Aren't we already in PS?

Thanks in advance for the clarifications!

Hello and thanks for your note...

The workflow I employ that is intended for press or print. When shooting in RAW which is always the case, I open an image via Bridge in to PS3 which automatically opens in Adobe Camera Raw. As stated (Now this is an alternative method to the one given at "Pentax Life") I will sharpen the image at 25 to 35 percent in ACR, Luminance Smoothing "0" and Color Noise reduction at "50". I generally click OK at this stage, (unless I am way off in my exposure, which if I am, I have to seriously re-consider my chosen profession)

When open in PS3 in 16 bits, I create a Duplicate Layer. Now here is where you can go both ways. (sounds a bit suspect) Depending on what I wish to accomplish in terms of saturation, I will either De-Saturate the image or leave it as a color image. The two are radically different in there outcome. Once I have created the Duplicate Layer, I will go in to the Layers Menu "TAB" and click on Normal which will open a large choice of different options. I will "Click" on "Soft Light". When doing so and dependent on the contrast of the image, you will notice a radical increase in contrast and saturation if you left the original image in color. Generally with my stuff and I say generally as it totally depends on the lighting I have employed, I will set the "Opacity" and "Fill" sliders from 50 to 85 percent each. Once I am satisfied with the result, I will flatten the image, as it is not yet ready for re-touch, this is a pre-retouch manipulation that I do on every image in preparation for the Post Production retouch. Once in PS, I will in many cases use the Shadow Highlight tool at my Default setting being,

Shadows:
Amount 2%
Tonal Width 50%
Radius 30%

Highlights:
Amount 2%
Tonal Width 50%
Radius 30%

Color Correction +20 Mid-tone 0

It may change dependent on the conditions.

Now, if the "Duplicate Layer" I made used the "De-saturation" process, after I have flattened the layer, I might augment the overall Saturation by 10 to 20 %. If I wish to keep the image with "That" desaturated look I may do nothing. It depends on the effect I am looking for.

If I did not use the "De-saturation" process and left the "Layer" in color, I may "De-saturate' the overall image by 10 to 20%.

If I do not sharpen in PS ACR, I will do the following for a more "RADICAL" look. After I have imported in to PS from ACR, I will Unsharp Mask (Accentuate) from 120 to 330 percent at 0.3 pixels and I will Unsharp Mask again at 10 to 15% at 40 to 60 pixels to really "POP" the contrast. I will go to "Shadow Highlight" and do the required manipulations to compensate for a loss of shadow detail.

I am now ready for the "Retouch Artist"

When retouch is done and up-sized if necessary, I will sharpen again at 100 to 180 percent at 0.3 pixels.

That is my systematic "Workflow" method.

Ben

Last edited:

nicolas claris

I did.
And I've been quite dissapointed...
Following Benjamin workflow on one of my image I couldn't achieve a satisfactory result... which I could get with my own workflow!

Please understnad me correctly, of course Benjamin workflow cannot be suspicious! I just don't know how to use it properly.

What I do think after this experience is that:
- workflow is really dependant of the photographer's vision
- workflow is really dependant of the photographer's skills
- workflow is really dependant of the photography

Last edited: