• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Is It Ok?

Taha Belushi

Hi all,

I have a very quick question; I love being photographed but not just by anybody, I am one of those lucky people who have found a Photographer (Coincidence/destiny) and She literally have a lense for me; in other words she just know which angles to take photo's of me.

Even I couldnt recognise myself from her shots.

And my question is;

Is it ok to tell a pro photograher about the way and style I like myself to be photgraphed?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
In general one should look for the photographer who's body of work matches the style you want to see in your picture.

It is pointless and I think esthetically clumsy to ask someone to photograph outside his frame of reference. I would not pretend to duplicate someone elses style, even if I could, which is doubtfull, and it would be to me a fraud.

Here, wht do you need to ask, since you are lucky to have the right person!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Of course!

Part of a good tool in the photographer's kit is having a relationship with the subject. If I can't engage you and make you feel good it will show in the image. Part of that is knowing that you will have an image you like as well - by all means, you should tell the photographer what you like!

Taha Belushi

Asher, Her styles is mainly pretty stuff, The thing is that there is a Shy factor involved, I donot wish to be looked at as a Pretty boy image.

Kathy, But she wants to do the photo's with her way and I feel uncomfortable with that. I think I did once upset her when I told her what she has to do or how....!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Then you need ....

Then maybe she is not the photographer for you. It's like going to the clothing store. If you are into classic clothing like a Chanel Suit but you are only shown trendy jeans with low rise, you would not feel comfortable in the jeans since you like being seen in the Chanel.

If you do not see yourself in her style and the look is not of your personality, you would need to find someone to make an image you feel good about. Same as with clothing.

You would not want to tell her how any more than you would instruct the physician who is performing surgery on you!

Last edited:

Taha Belushi

She is THE ONE. Its just me, fussy.

Here's my problem: She has the ideas for me, and they are excellent. I could show you the Pictures?

But on the other hand, I have ideas of my own; which i cant get across.

You have a few choices:
  1. Learn about yourself and enjoy seeing yourself through her pictures and let her do her thing.
  2. Engage in teaching her about yourself by expressing your ideas to her. This could take time and will definitely take patience (see #1).
  3. Find another photographer!

Taha Belushi

This is what I want;

- A legendary guy Not the One from Ali Baba and forty thieves But rather an Mysterious *lets just forget this part*

- An Uncommon look but still realistic.

Has anyone of you seen the Images of Sir Wilfred Thesiger? Published in his Autobio "Crossing The Sands"

Those Two Boys, Bin Kabina and Bin Ghabisha, One could seen the passion through his lens with glance at his photo.

She can give me those looks, But the problem is that I have to pose and with posing the entire pictures comes out Crap.

Can some give me hints of finding a photographer, for him/her to captor the true essence of their subject?

Asher Kelman

Taha,

It seems you have just stated the dilemma!

You have found the perfect photographer but perhaps not the right matching subject, yourself, with whatever grace, angles and textures you deliver to her. But she has to evaluate this herself.

Yesterday I photographed someone and certain poses and compositons for her just don't work because of her structure. You have a vision. You can take the pictures you admire and say this,

"I love your wrok, especially these particular pictures in your gallery which draw me to you as a photographer. I also admire the work of Sir Wilfred Thesiger, published in "Crossing The Sands" and here's my favorite. I'm not sure how you might think his work would fit in with your own photographic style. Do you think you could bring this esthetic to a picture of me?"

That's how I might approach this. You after all are the problem, not the photographer, LOL!

Asher

MArk Le

to play safe I'd say that it's not ok

but it really depends on the destination of the shoot:

for example: if you are a model working for an Agency and you are called to perform you should leave it to the photographer (and to the art director as well) because they (both) may be interested on something else than your best look ( in other words the look of the product will be way more important.. for example)

on the other hand if you're shooting testings (for an Agency again or for your personal book) it may be OK to suggest a good pose, but still the photographer may respond to the Agency or Client directly and they (again) may be requiring a particular look (for castings or similar)

if you shoot for pleasure then you will suggest whatever you want , of course. In case you feel that the photographer is not "appreciating" the suggestions you can always let him/her do it his/her way and then ask for extra shooting time (this time it will be your way). In the end I'm pretty sure that the photographer's way will be better LOL

in any case (and that's my personal opinion only) for both casting and commercial books I always look for the most "natural" look possible, which is always better . But often there are particular "looks" to accomplish, regardless of the best angle

Taha Belushi

Lol... Asher, I guess you do have a point!

Hi Mark, I have done commercial work for a Dubai Tv but after I saw myself on tv, I said; i will never do it again.

Even the following day, the agency called me for more stuff but I just didn't want to do it anymore. The commercial was even shot by leading intl director (can't name)

But I wasn't happy with mysself.

Here are some of her works, She is THE BEST. and probably the only one for. but despite this fact I still push her around for shots that "I would like"

me3be2.jpg

mewl5.jpg

me2qe2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

O.K. Taha, I place the url for each image between
and voila, we can see the pics. now which is you? Also what's her name so we can give her credit?

I'm not going to say which I like yet!!!

Asher

Taha Belushi

Hey Thanks there Asher!

Please don't be surprised, All of them is Me. Just different days.

She is an American Photographer, Still a Budding artist. She has asked to remain anonymous.

I would really Appreciate your comments and opinions Asher :p

I am Just an Admirerer of Visionary Photographers. You guys are my guru.

WillGood

Taha, I assume you are putting together a model portfolio?

I have shot for NYC agencies like FORD, supreme, Marilyn, Q, Product, as well as unsigned models.

honestly, models don't direct photoshoots.

The agencies hire the photograhers for their style and often have further objectives they want the photog to acheive, as well as objectives in styling, hair & mkup.

Even if you are hiring the photographer, I suggest you hire a photog on the basis of his book and style, and listen to him during the process.

"baby" models often have distorted ideas of the photoshoot process and require a patient photog.

cheers