• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: A sad night

Mike Shimwell

After posting about our friends loss of their dog a few weeks ago, I am sorry to share that we lost our dog last night. We came back from a weekend away on monday evening and she had had problems since Sunday morning. We took her to our vet on Tuesday evening who diagnosed a tumour that was positioned so as to be inoperable, even if she could have survived an operation at her great age - she was a very delicate old lady.

Anyway, putting aside the art vs snapshot argument - our children are gathering some snapshots from the last few years to make a scrapbook to remember her by - here are a couple from earlier this year, when she was old but before she started losing weight.

Mike

4053677219_71873165b6_o.jpg

4054419936_bf64909fea_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
These are memorable images and are really good images apart from the emotions we know about and those embedded in your photography.

No one dies if people have memory and if we hand down treasures.

Asher

ErikJonas

Banned

Mike...I know you dont know me and i've not been here that long but this kind of sadness is something all can relate to....I look forward to seeing your various dog pictures which i hope you share in the forum....

I like that first image...Would you allow me to try something with it?

ErikJonas

Banned

**Bump** I made a few post, just wanted to bump this thread back up to the top for people to be sure an see.....

Ken Tanaka

pro member
You have my deepest condolences, Mike. I know your pain well, and will likely face it again myself in the next year or two. Your dog was a whippet?

Mike Shimwell

Thank you everyone for your kind words. They are appreciated.

Ken, Eva was a lurcher, which is basically a cross betweena sighthound and another type of dog. In her case she was a greyhound cross, though we're not sure what with.

Lurchers are practical hunting dogs in the UK, as they generally have tougher skin and are more suited to small prey than greyhounds. They also, now more commonly, make make very good pets as they tend to have lovely temperaments and are reliable with children and other people - rotten guard dogs though. The word lurcher is thought to come from the romany word 'lur' meaning thief, as at one time is was illegal for a commoner to own a greyhound, but a hound cross was still useful for poaching.

Mike

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Mike,

I am so sorry to read about your loss. Knowing the context behind it the second picture has brought some tears to my eyes, so sad really :-(

Regards,

fahim mohammed

It is always sad to loose an old and dear friend. Time shall heal the pain. The photos shall preserve the
bonding.

My sympathies to you and family.

janet Smith

pro member
Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear this Mike, our beloved Kim dog died earlier this year, I know exactly what you're going through, our house is full of photographs of her and they definitely help. Thinking of you....

After posting about our friends loss of their dog a few weeks ago, I am sorry to share that we lost our dog last night.

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry for your loss. They do become members of the family, with an unconditional devotion to their keepers. There is nothing fake about what they give, and they give a lot of joy. In a sense it's a pity we outlive them ...

Cheers,
Bart

Sandra Jones

My condolences to you and your family. I know how sad it is to lose a cherished pet. Putting the album together will be very theraputic. It will give you all a chance to talk about her, share your memories, laugh and cry.

I've never heard of a lurcher. When I first saw her, I thought borzoi-X.