• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

It looms!

Mike Shimwell

Just a quick grab from a late walk the other week - It Looms was the thought when I saw the tree's shadow across the walls of the house

Mike

It Looms
4087493000_9bb3c32c40_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Just a quick grab from a late walk the other week - It Looms was the thought when I saw the tree's shadow across the walls of the house

4087493000_9bb3c32c40_o.jpg

Mike Shimwell: It Looms

Mike,

Does it loom more pwerfully cropped just to the right of the gate brick work column? That puts the divergence, the heart of the shadow in more of the the right place by the rules of thirds.

Asher :)

fahim mohammed

Reminds me of..' though I walk in the shadows, I shall fear...' You sir are a brave man to venture forth
around them parts.

Mike Shimwell

Reminds me of..' though I walk in the shadows, I shall fear...' You sir are a brave man to venture forth
around them parts.

Though I walk in the valley of the shadow of death, yet I shall fear no evil - for you are with, my God, and you comfort me

All is peaceable around here, for the most part:)

Mike

Asher Kelman

Suggesting crops in critiques and C&C here in OPF?

Eric,

You previously questioned the validity of others suggesting "crops as part of critique", C&C or whatever we want to call, "feedback" or a photograph shared here.

Well, here, with Mike Shimwell's photograph, "Looming", is a fine example where suggesting a crop in no way harms the authority of the photographer. What is does to is to provide eyes of other folk who were not there to hear the branches creaking, the wind whistling and see a black cat crossing ones path. All such extraneous elements are reinvoked in our brains, when we, as the photographer, see that picture of ours. Only the photographer of that picture fully relives all the experience with just a glance of the image.

We, however, (not having been there), need extra clues and refinement to approach the same emotional intensity. That's the object of the crop suggested.

Asher

ErikJonas

Banned

Asher i also said that i realized i'm still in the learning proccess and what i think 10 years from now will be far differant probably.... =)

Asher Kelman

Asher i also said that i realized i'm still in the learning proccess and what i think 10 years from now will be far differant probably.... =)

I know you will have a good experience traveling with us, each sharing goodies with the other.

Asher

Sandra Jones

I understand that the cropped version is more technically correct (rule of thirds), but I like, and feel more fear, in the first version. In the crop my eye is first drawn towards the whiteness of the big window. I'm thrown into the picture, the treee shadow is right in my face, whereas in the first image I feel more suspense having a bit of distance between me and the shadow. I now have to walk down a dark lonely sidewalk with the cold stone wall, past a dark creaky gate towards the shadow. Hope that made sense. It's a nice creepy image.

Mike Shimwell

I understand that the cropped version is more technically correct (rule of thirds), but I like, and feel more fear, in the first version. In the crop my eye is first drawn towards the whiteness of the big window. I'm thrown into the picture, the treee shadow is right in my face, whereas in the first image I feel more suspense having a bit of distance between me and the shadow. I now have to walk down a dark lonely sidewalk with the cold stone wall, past a dark creaky gate towards the shadow. Hope that made sense. It's a nice creepy image.

Sandra, thanks. My wife also prefers the full frame when looking at the print. She made similar comments, even though she walks down the road in question on a regular basis.

Mike

Mike Shimwell

Erik,

Thanks to for your comment. I have no issue with people suggesting alternative crops or treatments - sometimes they help achieve what I intended and others I don't follow through as they aren't aligned with my intent. The positive about OPF is that we try to help one another and not just tear down.

Mike

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Hi Sandra,

That's another valid point of view; "this" then "that"! Without the "this", the closer white portion of the house, that length of the street yet to be traversed, there is far less apprehension. The cropped version cuts out the first step but has more immediate impact of what is likely to happen right now.

So for you the idea that "I will be in danger" is full of boding of great risk of terror wheres the crop says watch out right this second there's no way you will escape.

Asher