• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Chinon...Thoughts Anyone???

ErikJonas

Banned
I think i got the spelling of this right...

Does anyone here know anything about Chinon cameras?....

Anyone who reads my post knows that this last fathers day i lost my dad...In the last two years both my parents have had serious medical issues....

My dad had a Chinon camera among others...I decided to keep the Chinon...Its older,a film camera...I am keeping it cause its one of the things that was his that i can hold on to...I dont know if anyone can understand what i am saying by that...It was dads..I have to keep it....I just feel like i have to....

I feel like i let him down....When i was about 15 he offered me an my sister a choice...A nice camera or $500. I took the five hundred not the camera...Had i taken the camera and not been selfish i might of discovered this talent i have with it much sooner and he might of been able to see my photography....His mental state the last few years he never saw it.....I feel incredably guilty for that.....My dad and i we fought a lot and about stupid little things...And here he offered me a chance to share in something that he himself loved and i had absolutely no appretiation for that....I keep thiniking to myself yeah he'd be proud if he could see what i can do with my camera but really i will never know....

So i have this Chinon that i might never use but i cant let go of it.....I dont even know if they made a quality camera....My Cameras that i have along with that are a Pentax ZX-7,Pentax *ist and Pentax K-20D.....

My dad had a number of cameras...Konica,Pentax,Nikon.....He usually bought good quality so i was thinking the Chinon was most likely a good camera.....Thoughts anyone?

Nigel Allan

I think i got the spelling of this right...

Does anyone here know anything about Chinon cameras?....

Anyone who reads my post knows that this last fathers day i lost my dad...In the last two years both my parents have had serious medical issues....

My dad had a Chinon camera among others...I decided to keep the Chinon...Its older,a film camera...I am keeping it cause its one of the things that was his that i can hold on to...I dont know if anyone can understand what i am saying by that...It was dads..I have to keep it....I just feel like i have to....

I feel like i let him down....When i was about 15 he offered me an my sister a choice...A nice camera or $500. I took the five hundred not the camera...Had i taken the camera and not been selfish i might of discovered this talent i have with it much sooner and he might of been able to see my photography....His mental state the last few years he never saw it.....I feel incredably guilty for that.....My dad and i we fought a lot and about stupid little things...And here he offered me a chance to share in something that he himself loved and i had absolutely no appretiation for that....I keep thiniking to myself yeah he'd be proud if he could see what i can do with my camera but really i will never know....

So i have this Chinon that i might never use but i cant let go of it.....I dont even know if they made a quality camera....My Cameras that i have along with that are a Pentax ZX-7,Pentax *ist and Pentax K-20D.....

My dad had a number of cameras...Konica,Pentax,Nikon.....He usually bought good quality so i was thinking the Chinon was most likely a good camera.....Thoughts anyone?

Hi Erik I was very touched reading this and I am sure he would be very proud of your work now - the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

If I recall correctly Chinon used the Pentax K mount and if so you can share your Pentax lenses with it....take it for a spin...put a roll of film in it and carry when you go out with your dSLR and and when you see somethign you want to shoot take one in film and one in digital and get a feel for the differences...one immediate one is the size and feel of the body...much more discreet and 'part of you' than a clunky dSLR, although Pentax do still make some of the most discreet ones

ErikJonas

Banned

Duke....Thankyou thats very thoughtful....

Nigel....I dont know what to say to that...Thankyou for the kind words....And yes the Chinon does take pentax lenses...Its tough to talk about at this point...I thought maybe someone knew the kind of caliber camera it was...Regaurdless i'm going to keep it....

Thankyou again...

Nigel Allan

As far as I remember it is a very good mid range SLR and as good as any typical SLR for the period - not the best or most expensive, but we don't need that to take good pictures and of course the determining factor is the lenses anyway so I am sure you will get great results

I forgot to mention: my father was a photographer in the late 50s and early 60s even though I never saw him from the age of about 3 till a couple of years before he died in 2004 due to him remarrying and cutting out his 'old' family from his life so I never knew my birth father, yet I knew his family in Hungary who did keep in touch with me. They were always making comments about how I had taken after him with my love of taking pictures as he was always seen with a camera in his hands which was not so common in 1950s Hungary - so perhaps some of it is passed on in the genes

Last edited: