• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A couple of snaps as I walked

Mike Shimwell

I thought I'd share a couple of quick snaps that I took over the last few days when out walking around.

Mike

Autumn Leaves - Mike Shimwell
4126306366_486308d960_o.jpg

Gatehead - Mike Shimwell
4126307062_8dc5e5e495_o.jpg

Nigel Allan

Mike, the top image is so clever because it is so simple and humbles us by revealing what we walk by everyday and do not notice. The yellow leaves make it for me.

And the second photo shows bravery to dare to be heretical in the digital age of sharpness and image stabilisation. Of course we both know this shot is deliberate and your intent and not an accident it shows movement and dynamism and the absolute unequivocal transient nature of photography which captures slices of life in one hundredths-of-a-second intervals. One moment it's there and the next it's gone

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nigel is quite right, yes we do miss so much!

Mike,

I've added your first picture to the collection in "Themes" here, dealing with the treasure most of us seem to entirely miss out on. I'm sure we do it with out friends and family too!

The second fast image of a series of arches within a larger arch is one I'd think of returning too, although, I always promise myself to do such a return visit, but how often do we actually do that?

Asher

ErikJonas

Banned

Mike....I like the lower half of the first image...I'd probably crop an make that lower half a 12 by 24 print...Very nice shot...

Mike Shimwell

Mike....I like the lower half of the first image...I'd probably crop an make that lower half a 12 by 24 print...Very nice shot...

Eric

Thanks, here's a sample for you:) It changes the nature of the shot a bit - more dynamic - and the circular sweep of the leaves from top left round to the right is replaced by a pattern that reminds me of the constellation 'The Plough' or Great Bear.

Mike

4128961223_b0de6c0199_o.jpg

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Mike

I like your first shot, and prefer the first version of it.

It'll be a shame when all the leaves are gone, but then there's icy seed heads etc to look forward to....

Mike Shimwell

Hi Mike

I like your first shot, and prefer the first version of it.

It'll be a shame when all the leaves are gone, but then there's icy seed heads etc to look forward to....

Hi Janet

Thanks very much . That was up at Studley Roger deer park - I was taking the girls for a cup of hot chocolate:)

Erik, sorry, I spelt your name wrong again.

Finally, here's an alternative view of the second shot - framed using a square format, sharper and at a different point in the lighting cycle.

Mike

4134084341_58cb4c0131_o.jpg