• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Gear For Sale????

ErikJonas

Banned
Is there a spot in the forum to post gear for sale?.....I am selling my 6 meg Pentax ist with lens for $300...The ONLY reason i am selling it is to get together the $500.00 i need for the data recovery on my crashed drive....Craigs list might be the best place to put it.....Sad to sell it though...Its a good friend....

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Is there a spot in the forum to post gear for sale?.....I am selling my 6 meg Pentax ist with lens for $300...The ONLY reason i am selling it is to get together the $500.00 i need for the data recovery on my crashed drive....Craigs list might be the best place to put it.....Sad to sell it though...Its a good friend....
Hi Erik,

I really don't understand why you'd want to do this! Sell your Pentax? That's a sin! Recovering your drive could be a simple matter. I would not use a drive recovery service unless I was sure there was no software solution. From what you have told me so far, The data should be recoverable by software. If there's other info, then you might share it.

Asher

Never had good luck with data recovery places. I take it the drive does not spin up, or the heads just kind of go 'tick, tick, tick' and never load right? I also assume you hooked it up to a different (working) computer..

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Erik,

What information do you have different from what I know already, that an icon appears on the desktop, the drive whirs and not bangs not clatters. This means that the drive might very well be recoverable with the Prosoft program. I have done a lot of recovery and feel that you should simply do this. That's what the company will do first, anyway but charge you 5 times as much!

Asher

ErikJonas

Banned

Hi Duke...No the drive spins very quietly...Just when the icon shows up on the desk top for it and you right click on it you get nothing and a message that comes up saying the drive is not formatted....Something like that....

Asher i talked to the guy at the recovery store an he said the drive can still spin and have internal problems.

Well good.. if the drive is spinning and not making any nasty noises, that's good..
I would probably download the demo version of Prosoft and see if it can see anything. Usually you can only recover a limited amount with the demos. But at least you would know if YOU can recover anything. After that I guess it would be the data recovery place....

ErikJonas

Banned

K heres where things are at....Ben helped me get my USB problem solved. While he was here he wanted to see the drive working right and he wanted to plug it in so we did. It took awhile but up poped the "Auto Read" or "Auto Play" it was going...For some reason Ben closed it out then went to "My Computer" to open it there...It didnt work.

But its a good sign right that the auto thing poped up and was doing something. No idea WHY he stopped it...AAAHHHHHHHHHHH but its providing some hope. Asher is very confident i'll get my files back...

Right now i am loading all my files to the new drive from my storage drive. So far a very slow proccess....After I get my drive set up i will turn to trying to recovering something from my crashed drive which is looking more hopeful...Once everythings squared away i'll sleep a little better.