• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

From one underutilized forum to another

Over on the Pentax forum I often felt alone in my choice of equipment, with the occasional new comrade, but usually just Kyle.

Now, I find myself with a brand new zero percent credit card (so I can amortize the amount over a year, no penalty), getting ready to purchase a minimal new Nikon kit centered around a brand new D300 body.

However, it doesn't appear as I will be gaining any more comrades here on this forum than on the Pentax forum! So be it. I'm sold. :)

I have some old film primes and a Sigma 70-300 4.5-5.6 APO for the Nikon mount from the early 90's that I will be entertained with while I try and decide what my first next (expensive) zoom purchase will be.

So here's to learning the ins and outs of a new system. If you have any strong feelings on Nikon's lens lineup - what to avoid, what to "just purchase now" - I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance and I'll be an excited poster with new equipment soon!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So Ed,

What new camera would you choose. For me, the D3 would be my choice with just the 50 1.2 and I'd be happy.

Thing is I have enough Canon cameras like multiple wives that we sought of have relationships that would have to be unwound.

There are more Nikon guys here. We'll have to wake them up!

Asher

Last edited:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Bonjour Ed
I've left the Nikon camp (for FF in particular) too long ago to be of any help here… But it would be a great thing that Nikonners wake-up, the new line seems very exciting though lacking of resolution for my needs.

BTW would that mean as Asher suggests that you'll have a kind of secret garden with a new camera or did you sell your Pentax?
In the later case it may be interesting to know why, in the other case also!

All the best with your new gear, it's always exciting and refreshing (and I know what I'm talking about ;-)

Marcus Peddle

I'm a Nikon guy, for the most part. You'll be very happy with the D300 though it depends on what you shoot. If you like sports then maybe the D3 is better. Although it is very expensive . . . .
I use the D300 with a 35mm prime lens and most of my photographs are done with that.

Hey Mark,

Glad to know somone on this forum that is a D300 user. Based on what I've heard about the complexity of this camera, its likely I'll have a few questions!

Asher, I've decided to go with the D300 - the D3 is slightly out of m league for now, but that could be a migration path for sure!

Nicolas, I haven't sold my Pentax YET, but I don't have my new camera yet either. My plan is to sell off my least used lenses first, then I'm sure the body and remaining lenses will go soon thereafter. BUT, I don't have the new camera yet, so maybe the old girl will convince me in some way that I need her. :)

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I don't konw which body you have, but as a Pentax lover*-) have you considered the K10D or even K20D that just arrived on the French shelves?

Could you explain your whys in your search of a new camera/system?

Joel Schochet

Ed,

I bought the D300 right off the bat and I absolutely love it. The autofocusing, which was very good on the D2x and the D200, is even better. The quality of the files also is better on the D300. The only issue (and a minor one) is that if you want to shoot 14-bit NEF files, the D300 only advances at 2.5 frames per second. I have to be honest and say that I haven't noticed a difference between the 12-bit and 14-bit files (other than the 14-bit are larger and take more time to transfer from the card to computer, even with UDMA components), so when quick follow-ups may be needed, such as photographing people, I keep it at 12.

My friend Michael Tapes, however, convinced me to buy the D3 a month ago. I knew it would be better for event photography because of its low light capability, but I did not realize how good it was until recently. I shot the retirement party of a co-worker at a really dim restaurant, and had to use my 50 f/1.8 and 105 f/2.0 because the light was so low. But the ISO 6400 photos from the D3 are amazing. Sure, there's a little noise; but that's the point -- a "little" noise. In fact, at 8 1/2 x 11, you barely see it. The D3 also shoots 14-bit NEF's at full speed.

Now that I have both, I've had to decide when to use each one. For events, it's the D3 and my wife gets to use the D300 instead of her D200 because of the D300's better low light performance. For nature when I'm hiking, it's got to be the D300. The D3 is too big and heavy, and the D300 photos equal the D3's in normal light. Plus, they both have Live View so you can zoom in and check focus when needed. And I have DX wide angles (Nikon 12-24 and 10.5; my wife's Sigma 10-20) for the D300 and I just can't get the Nikon 14-24 now despite the raves about its quality. For sports, I'd also lean toward the D300 when I'm not right next to the action so I can benefit from the 1.5x crop factor of the D300. With the battery grip, the D300's fastest shooting rate climbs from 6 fps to 8 fps, fast enough for just about anything.

We Nikon shooters finally have real choices among Nikon offerings, and we don't have to drool over Canon's anymore. Although I would jump at a Nikon full-frame 24-105 f/4 VR if it were ever produced. (Canon has such a lens.)

You'll be very happy with the D300. Enjoy it!

Joel

Thanks Joel for all the info/assurances. I will be making lens buying decisions and will likely appreciate the input.

I CONSIDERED the D3 but its a big boy (price & weight) that I can/will only justify if I were getting some paid events.

I currently use the K10D and considered the K20D for a long time.

However, there are a few issues with the Pentax system.

1. I don't need larger files. Sure, it would be a nice upgrade if all the more necessary requirements were met (see below).

2. The flash system on the Pentax has some quirks. Exposures are not as solid as the Nikon system. Also, the flash exp. compensation is tied to the cameras ambient light exp. compensation. So, you want to alter the flash/ambient ratio you have to do some gyrations.

3. The autofocus system is okay, but it dissapoints regularly (in terms of ability to track and lowlight)

4. SDM (Pentax version of sonic drive focus) has been reported as SLOWER than their screwdrive system. This, to me, is not a good sign. Their next-gen focus system is slower than their last-gen? I don't understand how this came about and I'm not going to invest in a system that degrades performance! Especially at premium prices.

5. I recently learned that all my old film lenses that I have from the early 90s will actually still work on the more advanced Nikon bodies. When I bought into the Pentax system, my understanding was that these lenses would no longer be useful on a digital body. I don't know if I'll be happy with the quality, but its a place to start. Perhaps they'd work even better on the FF D3?

So, thats my reasoning for making the switch. The K20D doesn't address many issues for me, but for a first-gen sensor, it looks promising. I wish Pentax/Samsung all the best.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Joel,

How limited would one be with the D300 inside working a wedding reception with poor lighting or in a Church/Synagogue where flash is not allowed? Certainly I would not choose the Canon 5D for this. Nothing less than a Pro level 1DII or 1DsII.

The D3 is heavy and if one can manage with the D300 that would be great.

Asher

Alan Cole

Ed,

You'll be so glad you went with the D300. I have had mine since early December but have had somewhat limited opportunities to use it much of late. I have used much of my spare time in learning the intricacies of this piece of technology. Thank goodness I came from a Nikon D50 as this gave me many insights into the D300's setup. It will be much more complex for a former Pentax user to come to terms with Nikon's latest.

While not unduly complicated, there are so many inter-acting shooting options to decide between compared with the relative simplicity of my old D50. Sources of information have included a number of other websites dedicated to Nikon users and of course the D300 manual-which you will find soon has a broken spine and many loose pages.

Another learning "adventure" is coming to terms with Capture NX (which really does a far superior job of interpreting NEF files cf. Lightroom) but it is quite user-unfriendly and S L O W. And then you need to develop a workflow which incorporates NX along with LR as NX doesn't really manage your files well.

I have a number of AF Nikon lenses which are a carry over from my D50 days including the 12-24mm DX; 24-85mm AFS f3.5-4.5 which is my very fast focusing 'walk around' , a 85mm f1.4 prime along with a 70-300mm f4-5.6. All focus accurately and with little hunting. The D300 's AF system is usually "spot-on" but again there are many permutations of AF-C, AF-S, Area modes and the various number of focus points used for you to experiment with ( I bet your manual pages 267 to 270 are the first to fall loose).

With regard to older lenses- I have used my 50mm f1.2, 105mm f2.5 and 185mm f2.8 Ais prime lens on my D300 with no issues at all. Information specifying these can be entered in the Setup Menu to enable Color Matrix metering and to have lens data included in EXIF info.

One gripe: a dedicated "Bracketing" button would complete the package.

I would recommend that you buy a SB 600 or SB 800 Nikon flash to use with the new "toy". Nikons Creative Lighting System is fool-proof and accurate. The D300 can use the built in flash as a Commander for these flashes used off-camera to achieve many interesting lighting results.

Have fun shooting and learning.

Alan Cole

Asher Kelman

Alan,

Could you explain. Is that you would like a button or do mean the camera needs a better bracketing fn?

I would recommend that you buy a SB 600 or SB 800 Nikon flash to use with the new "toy". Nikons Creative Lighting System is fool-proof and accurate. The D300 can use the built in flash as a Commander for these flashes used off-camera to achieve many interesting lighting results.

I tested the D2H and was very impressed by Nikons flash especially the macro flash. Yes I think it's outstanding....I didn't get to test the fool proof part!

Asher

Marcus Peddle

Have fun shooting and learning.

Go to f4 in the Custom Setting Menu. You can set the function button for a bracketing burst. You can then use the command dials (while pressing the button) to choose bracketing settings.

Joel Schochet

Hi, Asher.

The D300 has, in my limited experience, at least one stop less high ISO performance. I think the noise with the D3 is more pleasing, less distracting. (I don't know how else to describe it.)

But a real advantage with the D300 is that you can control up to two groups of flashes wirelessly from the camera itself. So you can have an assistant (wife?) holding a flash without wires getting in the way and without other hardware. With the D3, you need either an SB-800 on the camera or wired, or Nikon's infrared controller.

My wife's photos at the retirement party with the D300 and the 17-55mm DX f/2.8 were very nice, but when the ISO hit 3200 (where I set limit on ISO Auto on the D300), there was motion blur as a result of the shutter speed going down. I set the D3 to ISO 6400 limit on ISO Auto, and the one extra stop was very helpful. At times, we both had to use flash but that obviously doesn't capture the mood of the party the same way.

To all non-Nikon users I would say about Nikon (with apologies to Quaker Oats and its old commercial here in the US): Try it, you'll like it!

Joel

Asher Kelman

So then,

For all practical use, the D3, with out the vertical grip) is then the Canon 5D markII should be as we would wish with

pro autofocus
ISO 6400
not to heavy for endless relaxed fun
avaialble superb 50 1.2
Rainproof

However the superb Nikon 12-24mm ultra-wide angle zoom really seems to tip scales towards Nikon.

The Nikon is of course $2000 more but the value is there for sure! If the 50mm f1.2 Nikon matches the Canon 50mm 1.2L then the Nikon D3 should be the choice for avaialble light street and protrait photography if one can go for the extra cost. My thoughts are based on usability not cost.

Asher

Last edited:
In terms of functionality and price, shouldn't the comparison be between the D3 and the Canon 1D Mark III ?

Nikon really does not have a competitor for the as of yet non-existent Canon 5D Mark II ... no?

Joel Schochet

Nikon really does not have a competitor for the as of yet non-existent Canon 5D Mark II ... no?

But I'm waiting for it with bated breath!

Nikon with probably announce a 24MP version of the D3 (D3x? D4?) in the summer. No one knows when a full-frame version of the D300 (D400?) will appear, but it will probably be 12MP with the D3's sensor. And then we'll await the 24MP version (D500?).

Frankly, I'm more interested in lenses at this point. (Of course, I am ... I have the D300 and D3.) I wish Nikon would add AF-S to the 80-400 VR, and update non-AF-S wide, normal and short telephoto primes. And, of course, give me the 24-105 f/4 AF-S VR that I long for.

But what would Christmas or Hanukkah be without something to wish for.

Joel

Thanks for introducing yourselves (Marcus, Alan, Joel)! I'm looking forward to learning the new equipment and conversing with some of you.

Alan Cole

Go to f4 in the Custom Setting Menu. You can set the function button for a bracketing burst. You can then use the command dials (while pressing the button) to choose bracketing settings.
Thanks Marcus, I have spent a fair amount of time considering all the options for assigning the Function button. I eventually decided on "Spot metering" for a couple of my Custom Menu Banks and "FV lock" for my flash Banks, thus cutting out the Bracketing option. It was a matter of priorities- hence my desire for a dedicated Bracketing button.

Alan Cole

Marcus Peddle

At first I used the function button for spot metering but the metering method switch is so easy to use that I changed the function button to bracketing. Which I never use. :)

Asher Kelman

At first I used the function button for spot metering but the metering method switch is so easy to use that I changed the function button to bracketing. Which I never use. :)

I really think that's a mistake Marcus. Bracketing with todays new software options simply changes a very good image to an excellent one as far as DR and noise. Just 3 exposures can do that for you. Photoacute or Enfuse and so many others.

Down the road, you will be so happy that you bracketed since we'll have better ways of extracting the data.

Asher

Well I too am a very happy Nikon shooter, although it is only with the D200 and D40 bodies. I am extremely happy with both for what I shoot but I hope to move up to the D3 (or whatever is next) in the not too distant future. With that in mind I have started purchasing lenses that will move up with me when I do go that route. I don't have the 14-24 yet but I did recently get the 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8 VR and I really am liking both. Those two, along with the 105mm f/2.8 macro are what I use most of the time. All three are great lenses. I have a friend that recently purchased the D3 and he has these same lenses and some of his results are really what has given me the bug once again.

Asher Kelman

Don't forget the Fuji bodies. I have not used one this is a favorite of Wedding Photographers in looking to take better B&W pictures of the bride (white with detailed brights) and the groom (dressed dark) with subtle nuances to preserve.

When you choose a Nikon system, you also have this Fuji extra option that is a really inexpensive expansion of capabilities.

I'm still loyal to my Canon system. Why not? It works! But am impressed by Nikons offerings; the flash, the UW lenses and the new Zeiss lenses. However, now these lenses can be easily used or Canons with focus confirmation adapters.

Asher

Marcus Peddle

I really think that's a mistake Marcus. Bracketing with todays new software options simply changes a very good image to an excellent one as far as DR and noise. Just 3 exposures can do that for you. Photoacute or Enfuse and so many others.

Down the road, you will be so happy that you bracketed since we'll have better ways of extracting the data.

Asher

Besides the RAW options available in the camera (contrast, saturation, etc.) I'm not very interested in processing images. Perhaps it's laziness (it's definitely not an unwillingness to learn new things) but most likely it's because I'm thinking, "I paid a month's salary for a camera and for that kind of money I had better get decent photographs without too much fooling around." I guess I am still thinking of my digital camera as a film camera without film. That might be a wrong way of thinking to some people but I am striving to get good photographs in camera.

Oh yeah! Add one more reason that pushed me to the new Nikon bodies... the hi-res LCD screen.

If I had to predict a surprise feature on the Pentax, I would've predicted a high-res screen from compliments of Samsung. Sadly, I would've been wrong!

Eric Bowles

D300

The D300 is a great camera. The two features I like most are the improved high ISO performance and the AF system. I've had the D300 since the first day it was released and also have a D200 and a D70.

The ISO performance of the D300 picks up about 1 1/2 stops compared to the D200 judged on the basis of image quality and noise. In comparison, the D3 picks up something like 4 stops - simply amazing performance but at a price.

The Auto Area AF function of the D300 is simply amazing. In the past month I have shot nearly 2000 images using that AF setting. Auto Area AF differs between Continuous Servo and Single Servo modes. In the Auto Area Focus Mode the camera essentially picks the focus target. I used Continuous Mode with Auto Area Focus Mode for the Tour de Georgia cylcling races, the Red Bull air races in San Diego, and shooting birds in flight on the Channel Islands. In all three situations I picked up 80-85% in focus images - far better than I was able to accomplish with any previous camera body. The D3 and the D300 share the same AF system.

There are many other features, and certainly some challenges in getting used to all the functions available, but the D300 is a great camera and I am sure you will love it.

Eric

Eric, I am enjoying the D300.

I have not used the Auto Area function because, well, its just TOO EASY! =D However, based on recommendation, I will have to rethink that.

I just bought a copy of the 55-200 4.5-5.6 VR as an entry point zoom. The 70-200 will come sooner or later, but for now this lens will do.

Chris Lilley

... getting ready to purchase a minimal new Nikon kit centered around a brand new D300 body.

I have some old film primes and a Sigma 70-300 4.5-5.6 APO for the Nikon mount from the early 90's that I will be entertained with while I try and decide what my first next (expensive) zoom purchase will be.

Which film primes? Have you tried them out on the D300?

You may find that they give you as good, or better, quality as the latest 'expensive zoom' (depending on how expensive, of course, and without the autofocus, VR, etc).

doug anderson

I love my D300, but I wish I hadn't got it with the 18-200 zoom (which is a POS). I do most of my shooting with a 17-35 nikkor gold ring and WOW. I'm going to trade the 18-200 in on a 85mm 1.8.