• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: Canon Powershot G11 to be announced

The most wondeful news of this new camera (which I am not at all in the market for) is the proof that hopefully the pixel-wars are over. I believe that this is the first time ever for a manufacturer to release an updated model with a lower pixel count. Now they can start focusing on what really matters (and it's not resolution, in my opinion...).

14MP in a compact sensor, and for the typical uses it's to be applied for, is simply madness, and I applaud Canon for this move!

The most wondeful news of this new camera (which I am not at all in the market for) is the proof that hopefully the pixel-wars are over. I believe that this is the first time ever for a manufacturer to release an updated model with a lower pixel count. Now they can start focusing on what really matters (and it's not resolution, in my opinion...).

14MP in a compact sensor, and for the typical uses it's to be applied for, is simply madness, and I applaud Canon for this move!

I also welcome the apparent change of course, but it may be just a response to the cry for better high ISO quality. That required different technology, and the CCD they had available allowed to achieve just that.

It looks like it's a Sony CCD (it's specs are a perfect match). The somewhat larger potential wells and the binning capability will theoretically allow much better high ISO performance, but we'll have to wait and see what the actual implementation together with the DIGIC 4 can do.

With the articulated LCD, VGA video, HDMI output, high ISO capability, image stabilization, optical zoom range, it looks like a very versatile camera. It'll also be interesting to see how the economy affects the sales.

Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I also welcome the apparent change of course, but it may be just a response to the cry for better high ISO quality. That required different technology, and the CCD they had available allowed to achieve just that.

Canon is positioning this camera a the ideal photojournalists extra camera for rougher areas where discretion is needed. The Panasonic LX3 had greater high ISO performance so that has been a problem for their claims. Still they got out two supporting quotes from major agencies for the camera's use in photojournalism.

It looks like it's a Sony CCD (it's specs are a perfect match). The somewhat larger potential wells and the binning capability will theoretically allow much better high ISO performance, but we'll have to wait and see what the actual implementation together with the DIGIC 4 can do.

With the articulated LCD, VGA video, HDMI output, high ISO capability, image stabilization, optical zoom range, it looks like a very versatile camera. It'll also be interesting to see how the economy affects the sales.

The articulated screen is to me a loss as it's small! Even hanging over a building, I know where I'm pointing well enough and just want to not fall! No way I'm looking at the screen!
Still, I can see it being helpful for video where one may want to observe the frame and aslo outside the frame to see who is going to enter the movie.

Canon is certainly not the first Digicam MFR to reduce the number of pixels in return for quality. I believe it could have been Fuji that made this move a year or so ago.

This summer, I used my 5DII for a Wedding only. Otherwise it was the G10. The 5D and it's fine lenses never saw daylight otherwise. The images of the G10 are perfect for street photography, stitched landscapes or architecture and street portraits as well as family pictures. The potential for adding on a 580 EX II flash or an STBII and controlling banks of Canon Speedlights, I've never used, but it's there.

I will likely get the new version if the high ISO claims prove true for one simple reason: it's shutter is absolutely silent! That means I can take pics at a concert without someone going ballistic. I'd love Canon to allow us to disable the green light on the top which announces to all the stewards and ushers that a picture is being made!

I don't know of another low light capable camera that is that sstealthy. Maybe the LX3?

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,

That green light at the top is the AF-assist beam and it can be switched off on my G9 from the main menu, no sweat. I would be very surprised if it isn't also possible on the G10.

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Asher,

That green light at the top is the AF-assist beam and it can be switched off on my G9 from the main menu, no sweat. I would be very surprised if it isn't also possible on the G10.

Cheers,
Cem,

My greetings to you and yours!

There are two lights. One signifies the G10 is switched on. That's the fella I'd like to kill!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Cem,

My greetings to you and yours!

There are two lights. One signifies the G10 is switched on. That's the fella I'd like to kill!

Asher

Hi Asher
put some black gaffer tape on it! it will kill the light and make you look as a 'pro' in the same time ;-)

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,
Sorry for assuming that you were referring to the af assist light, my bad. The other green one is the led which indicates the program mode chosen and can be easily dealt with as suggested by Nicolas :)