• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hello!

Matthew_Kress

Hello all --

I followed Michael T's link here from the RSP forums and found the structure and contributors looked promising, so I can't wait to see how the forums develop! I'm not even close to being a pro, just an interested amateur with little time to devote to this hobby (I just completed my first year in law school, and should have more time for a few months until classes resume.)

To date my photography has focused on my daughter (now 3 1/2) and wherever we happen to take her (the zoo, the beach, her various activities at daycare, friend's b-day parties, etc.) but now that she's older, I'm hoping to get her out to the Columbia Gorge/ Mt. Hood area and get some landscape shots too and I've found that I enjoy taking pictures of people at the beach (but have to make sure they aren't scantily glad young ladies or I'll get walloped.)

Anyway, enough about me, I'm looking forward to seeing how the forum shapes up and I'll happily contribute if I can think of anything insightful or intelligent to say :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mathew,

Welcome!

I love your bubbles picture

http://mkress65.smugmug.com/keyword/amigos

and the babes

http://mkress65.smugmug.com/keyword/corrected/1/41034032

They look to me like great potentials for submitting as stock photos and/or for working on your own style.

Have you thought about that?

Perhaps start a new thread on Photography as Art Forum

http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58

I do like these pictures very much, but Ben Lifson and Alain Briot are very much the guys to give you help in this regard, if you so wish.

Matthew_Kress

Thanks Asher.

Did I ever think about submitting my photos as stock photos? Honestly, no I never did. I feel like most of the pictures I take are more snapshots than actual "photographs" (a distinction that I picked up at Fred Miranda) and have been reasonably happy when I get an appreciative comment from the people (or their parents) that I've photographed. Based on your suggestions, I'll pick a couple of what I consider my "best" shots and post in the appropriate forum and see what suggestions I can get to improve my style (which I would very much like to do.)

Thank you for your kind words and for making me feel very welcome here. As an amateur I expected to mostly lurk and try to pick up some pointers, but now maybe I'll take more of an active role (at least until school starts up again!)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Matt,

OPF is designed for working professionals and also to welcome those, like youself, who commit to approaching such high standards. Anyone with talent can succeed with enough care and focus.

Can we do both? Yes. That's what we'll do.

This is whole point of OPF: we want to facilitate the best choices in digital backs for an expensive Alpa, optimize workflow for event photographers and also help people like you, who are serious about photography, to excel.

For sure, you will find here the resources to help you achieve your vision. However, only you can have your vision. Only you can make the effort to bring this vision to reality in a final delivered print or file.

Good luck,

Asher