Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Photojournalism - Street - Documentary

Old September 3rd, 2012, 03:58 PM

Default Marble Arch, London

...Nic Fiddian Green's 'London Horse' sculpture at Marble Arch, London.

Marble Arch, London '12 - Paul Abbott
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/ "In fact I don't believe there is such a thing as a definitive picture of something. The land is a living, breathing thing and light changes its character every second of every day." - Fay Godwin "All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
Old September 3rd, 2012, 05:46 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Abbott View Post
...Nic Fiddian Green's 'London Horse' sculpture at Marble Arch, London.

Marble Arch, London '12 - Paul Abbott

Paul,

Another new sight for me! I am pleased to make acquaintance with this fine horse! At first I thought hit was a humorous tree-trunk cartoon-like sculpture. Then, my brain re-orientated the interpretation and I recognized that this was just the horses head. Remarkable!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:20 AM

It took me a moment to actually figure out the horse's head as I had the same impression as Asher that it was some sort of tree trunk thing. Everything that is going on behind the lower half of the horse's head kind of obscures it. Once you see it though, you can no longer ignore it.
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:43 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Terlecki View Post
..............Everything that is going on behind the lower half of the horse's head kind of obscures it. Once you see it though, you can no longer ignore it.

I just wonder how it would look at a much more open aperture. We'd isolate the horse but would we lose signals of the location.... to perhaps not?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old September 4th, 2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
I just wonder how it would look at a much more open aperture. We'd isolate the horse but would we lose signals of the location.... to perhaps not?

Asher
Yes, I was actually thinking the same thing, how to bring it out more. I guess it depends on the intent of the photographer. Showing the sculpture in context of the city was this choice. Using a narrower depth of field, then the image could have been cropped and shown the horse with is mouth just kissing the man relaxing on the ground beneath. Two very different end results.