• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Astrological realignment

Doug Kerr

I see where some astronomer has pointed out that the astronomical premise for the concept of astrological signs is actually obsolete owing to precession in the solar system since the period in which the notion was established. Thus, perhaps, people formerly classified under one sign would have to be reclassified, and a new sign might need to be added to the scheme.

I don't believe that the date of one's birth (regardless of the system used to categorize it) has anything to do with one's personality, outlook, beliefs, etc.

I'm a Taurus, and we generally do not believe in that notion.

Next week: If there were saloons on Mars, would they have to open late on Sunday?

Best regards,

Doug

I don't believe that the date of one's birth (regardless of the system used to categorize it) has anything to do with one's personality, outlook, beliefs, etc.

I don't believe in that either, but perhaps there is some influence (hormones / food / temperature / daylight hours) from the season when conception took place. If so then there could be some interesting 6-month auto-corellations between Northern and Southern hemisphere. How about that as an hypothesis?

Afterall, there are some general character traits that do tend to correspond with other people born (or rather conceived) in the same time of year.

Cheers,
Bart

Doug Kerr

Hi, Bart,

I don't believe in that either, but perhaps there is some influence (hormones / food / temperature / daylight hours) from the season when conception took place. If so then there could be some interesting 6-month auto-corellations between Northern and Southern hemisphere. How about that as an hypothesis?

After all, there are some general character traits that do tend to correspond with other people born (or rather conceived) in the same time of year.
Indeed. As I said, few of us Taureans believe that when you were born is any indicator of your beliefs!

Now "where conceived" may be an even more important parameter. (For me, it was Buffalo, New York.) In a practice that would gladden the hearts of those who want to build the complete story of every shot into the filename, American film actor-director-producer Ron Howard and his wife gave each of their three daughters a middle name indicating the city or site where they were conceived. (We here in North Texas are particularly proud of Bryce Dallas Howard, an accomplished actress; I suppose the management of the Carlyle Hotel in New York feel the same about another actress, Paige Carlyle Howard.)

Howard said they didn't follow that for their only son, Reed Cross Howard, since he thought that a middle name of "Volvo" might not help him in later life. They applied instead the name of the applicable street (in London).

Best regards,

Doug

Mike Shimwell

Afterall, there are some general character traits that do tend to correspond with other people born (or rather conceived) in the same time of year.

Cheers,
Bart

Bart

You must be careful not to mix up cause and effect in these discussions!

Mike