• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Asher's "Exposing for the Soul" Article

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hello Asher;

Your exposing for the soul article is wonderful and illuminating. Bravo Asher...

Ben

Rainer inspired me so much that his nature and work drew me to find out more.

For that reason alone I changed my travel plans and flow to Munich to visit him and his world. Besides meeting with Nicolas Claris, there was no meeting (in my packed rich European trans-culture journey last summer) that matched my experience with Rainer.

One can learn from him on every subject. By allowing other opinions to be expressed, he is appears modest; but he is not, just gracious!

By not boasting of his talents he appears uncertain, he is not; simply cautious about first framing the work in social context.

I then realised what he's about; blossoms come when it's spring and ony then! Busy bees enjoy the life giving nectar and pollinate (the very essence of that tree) to other waiting blossoms afar.

In this parsing of Rainer's interactions with the external, I learned more about my own less-constrained gregarious self, spilling out such a lot with little respect to timing!

Exposing For The Soul is here .

How could blurred be art? What a crock! Not just Rainer's work, but my own judgement, was now open to critique!

So we began a new journey, not in Venice but in OPF. This eventually heralded community confidence in dealing with styles. That thread is found here .

Meeting Rainer and the path to that article, the discussion and you finding it, Ben and re-evoking my pleasure, are what I find so satisfying, more than that, rewarding about the creative process.

I have just had the privilege of not only seeing what a diminutive lightweight (but totally pro-camera) from sleepy Pentax can do in the hands of an artist, but also enjoyed the resulting work in your Divine Inspiration] extravaganza !

All in all, your comment on Exposing For The Soul thrilled me. It was like a pat on the back for what we have created in OPF!

Thanks,

Asher

Last edited:
Dear Asher,

I've been thinking this now for a week or so and didn't know when or where I would let it out, but I consider you the soul of OPF. You are seemingly everywhere! You lend a distinct ... well, you lend DISTINCTION to this "place".

I am learning much about the art of photography simply because I spend time here and get exposure to you and others (Ben included =D). I know I am growing in ways that I would not somewhere else - maybe even anywhere else! The article on the time you spent with Mr. Rainer is but one part of this effect.

It is a privelege to interact with such skilled photographers. There is a reason so many choose to spend time here and I think it is because of the environment YOU have created, albeit with the help of many others.

So, please, allow me as well - pat, pat, pat!

Thank you!

A great article about an inspiring photographer. On these forums we get so hung up on gear, sharpness, noise etc that we forget that we are producing images and interpretations. His photography is at once simple and profound and demonstrates a vision that goes far beyond appearances.

Asher, you did a great job of illustrating Rainer's photographic vision while giving room for the images to speak for themselves, which they do admirably.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks Steve and for adding your thoughts to discussions.

Sometimes a might go out on a limb in my effort to explore the creative process. We are lucky to have people here from different backgrounds and level of strictness to technical perfection and who will thankfully counterbalance and make for better understanding.

I'm also happy that people are presenting their own experience and recently presenting selections for reading on Photography and Art. So we are moving in the right direction.

Asher