Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Camera Discussion > Medium Format & Large Format Cameras > Shooting with the Rollei 6008AF and a Sinar eMotion22 and eMotion54 Digital Backs by Graham Mitchell

Shooting with the Rollei 6008AF and a Sinar eMotion22 and eMotion54 Digital Backs by Graham Mitchell A diary by advertising and fashion photographer Graham Mitchell. He's based in London and is a featured Sinar Photographer.

Old December 4th, 2008, 04:00 PM

Default The secret life of lawyers

Here's a recent work, featuring 15 real life lawyers. Only had them on set for 30 mins so it was interesting

It was a large dark space, so I shot is a bit underexposed at iso50 then pushed it later. Cleaned up nicely in NoiseNinja.

Old December 4th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Inactive

Oh! That is too sweet. See, I knew it. Lawyers.

These guys should skip the lawyer gig and go straight to Capitol Hill.

[url]http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com[/url]
Old December 4th, 2008, 05:03 PM

Graham,
That's one fantastic image! Well done!
Old December 4th, 2008, 05:57 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Graham,

This shows what only imagination and the ability to organize the image from start to finish can deliver. This is what a good creative photographer has to do. I don't want to sound extreme about this, but I am so happy to see this work. Of course, anyone can own the same Rolleii 6008, a gem in it's own right. Making this picture work is very satisfying. The clean attractive picture was made with a Sinar digital back at ISO 50*, however, film might have been as impressive , albeit with a very different personality. (A used Mamiya 7 will give competing quality if one has a limited budget.)

As I have said previously, only creative vision is what's needed and then skilled carry-through. Kudos, Graham!

I really like the composition and all the sub-actions and poses, so there's a lot of interest all over but the main action on the left. This use of subjects in with various behaviors is impressive! However, unlike Brueghel's citizens, these guys have "attitude" that could only come from the 1930's onwards. The extra figure on the far left, in his own thoughts lighting a smoke is a strong addition to the workings of the picture. It's a cool, confident and creative touch. This one figure contrasts with action in the rest of the room and so heightens the energy of the image.

So, Mitchell, how did this all come to be? What was the motivation and when did you all know what would be done? Was there a sketch? After all, there must have been 20 opinions from 15 lawyers! Also anything special on the lights?

I particularly like narrative pictures. They're entertaining and even with just a few models it's hard enough to get things right!

Asher

* Most photographers would push the ISO higher. Choosing ISO 50, under such dark contrasty conditions has worked so well. This appears to give the best data for the well exposed areas with no noise from raising the gain. The remaining noise is of course mostly in the shadows has been well managed by noise Ninja. I'd love to see a cutout showing some of that noise, prior to correction, so we could learn something about your great technique.

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old December 4th, 2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
So how did this all come to be. What was the motivation and when did you all know what would be done? Was there a sketch? After all, there must have been 20 opinions from 15 lawyers! Also anything special on the lights?

Asher
It's quite an interesting little story. The lawyers from this particular law firm have an annual tradition of surprising the other gender every year at the Christmas party. This year, the men came to me to do some sort of fun group photo, and this is what we agreed on. I couldn't plan it very much because they couldn't be sure how many could turn up to the shoot. I had to organize it on the spot, and only had them on set for 30 mins. They printed it 2 metres wide and unveiled it tonight at the Christmas party.
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:24 PM

Wonderful work. Lawyers truly are lawyers no matter what country they are in and even in fun they can't seem to hide it. I especially like the cat in the center with the shades and hat. He is oblivious in his coolness. Can you tell me how you lit this scene?
James
Old December 5th, 2008, 01:12 PM

James,

Exactly what I was wondering! We can see that there are at least two wide lateral source of light angled at about 45 degrees from the front. At first I thought there was just ambient light. Then I thought it was shot on a stage and these were actors in a play. After realizing there were at 15 lawyers, the behavior seemed to be quite natural! I still would love to know about the lighting!

Also the choice of ISO is interesting too!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old December 5th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Inactive

The more I look at this, the more it takes my breath away. Sheer brilliance.

[url]http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com[/url]
Old January 11th, 2009, 09:07 AM

This is hysterically funny and very well done. Where did you get the AK47?

D
Old January 11th, 2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug anderson View Post
This is hysterically funny and very well done. Where did you get the AK47?

D
There are plenty of disabled weapons available for loan around here. That was the easy part
Old January 11th, 2009, 03:10 PM
OPF Moderator

Quote:
After realizing there were at 15 lawyers, the behavior seemed to be quite natural!
LOL, well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
There are plenty of disabled weapons available for loan around here. That was the easy part
Hi Graham,

I'm sorry I missed this wonderful image when you posted it, it's a real gem!

The interactions are brilliant. Even though it's hard to stage it all, the setup and especially the timing of the shot is yours! Brilliant!

Bart
Old February 5th, 2009, 03:36 AM

This is such a wonderful image! When we get it set up this will be in one of our specially showcased favorites! I keep returning to this one picture to get recharged up. It well done and fun!

Asher

Old April 1st, 2009, 10:02 AM

Graham,

I'm back visiting again. I wonder if you took others in this shoot. I must say, "The Secret Life of Lawyers" is a remarkable image that stands one of my tests for art: it calls me back to revisit.

I hope you do more tableaux like this!

Asher

Old April 1st, 2009, 10:16 AM
OPF Moderator

Quote:
Graham,

I'm back visiting again. I wonder if you took others in this shoot. I must say, "The Secret Life of Lawyers" is a remarkable image that stands one of my tests for art: it calls me back to revisit.

I hope you do more tableaux like this!
I agree. One with bankers would be well timed ...
Not to kick them while they're down, but because of the sense of humour that the British have.

Bart
Old April 1st, 2009, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the feedback. That image was a commission but for my own folio I was thinking to do one on politicians