Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Camera Discussion > Medium Format & Large Format Cameras > Shooting with a HY6 and a Sinarback eMotion 75 LV. A diary of Nicolas Claris experience.

Shooting with a HY6 and a Sinarback eMotion 75 LV. A diary of Nicolas Claris experience. The Swiss brand Sinar has asked Nicolas Claris to shoot with a Sinar HY6 and a Sinarback eMotion 75 LV…

Old December 9th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Administrator/Moderator

Default As a result of shooting with the Sinar…

Hi all
in a recent thread (http://www.openphotographyforums.com...ead.php?t=7691) about the new Nikon Dx3 Fahim was wondering why so many pixels and who can need that…

As the hereunder print where being printed, I didn't want to reply Fahim too soon, I preffered to be able to show you the following…

From last Friday to next Sunday, the Paris Boat show is opened. We of course have some clients there, and for the bigger two of them (don't point others to this thread! ;-) we have printed large files for a toatl nearly reaching 50 meters (164 feet) long… and I don't count any print under 2 meters wide (6.5 feet)…

These prints were made from shots done with the Canon 1Ds3 or the Sinar HY6 and its DB Emotion 75 LV. I'll post a sample of one Sinar shot in the MF Format, though the Canon do stuning files, there is just nothing to compare with the Sinar IQ…

All prints have been subcontracted (as usual) to our lab Dupon. For cost reasons, they aren't Lambda prints but directly printed to PVC rigid support with a HRO Dursty inkjet… If you want to know more about this printer, do google search HRO and Durst…

Below is one of the reasons why I do love the Sinar…

This is the Lagoon 440 shot in the Iles de Lérins in Cannes. 5 meters ( 16.4 feet) wide…

100 % crops:

Here is a Canon sample
Old December 9th, 2008, 10:38 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

So this, Nicolas is what you've been doing with the Sinar! It's very impressive. It clearly shows how the pixel quality is so important and what detail, still with beautiful texture can be obtained. This means that you can use all the pixels we get.

I do wish that I had such a camera. You, however, deserve this for your work! This is splendid photography. So how large is that first 100% cutout image of the man in the gray shirt on the final print. Is it about 4 inches (10cm) tall? That's very good. Especially as it's viewed at more then 10 inches from the print!

How do you enlarge the print? Is it does by the RIP or you do it first yourself?

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old December 9th, 2008, 11:30 AM

Impressive result. There's a world of difference between this and the Canon.
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Administrator/Moderator

Bonsoir Asher
the print is 2.5 meters high (8.2 feet) so the helmsman shown on the crop is in real about 5 inches (13 centometers) on the pic.
Here is my today workflow for big prints, though it may vary depending of files:

- Derawtization with (by order of preference) at 100% size, pre sharpening, color/light/pre-denoise/contrast/saturation :
• C1 pro
• C1 4.5 pro
• Raw developper
• LR2
- Open in CS, denoise with Noise Ninja, upsize to final size at 125 dpi, adjust midcontrasts/light/saturation/local corrections
- final sharpening
- eventual flattening of layers
- Convert to 8 bit
- Save as Adobe RGB tif file
- Send to lab…

The 100% crop comes from a shot handheld 50 mm (Canon L 24-70mm), 200 ISO - 1/40s - ƒ3.5 at about 1meter from print…
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
Impressive result. There's a world of difference between this and the Canon.
Hi David
Thanks! Yes there is a difference and a lot, but this is 5 meters to be comprared with the 8 meters of the Canon print. To be honest…

The other difference is that it took me about 15 minutes to PP this file, and mostly 3 hours for the Canon files, due to different tests and try to develop the Canon for such enlargement and certainly less good pixel quality…
Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Claris View Post
Hi all
in a recent thread (http://www.openphotographyforums.com...ead.php?t=7691) about the new Nikon Dx3 Fahim was wondering why so many pixels and who can need that…

As the hereunder print where being printed, I didn't want to reply Fahim too soon, I preffered to be able to show you the following…

From last Friday to next Sunday, the Paris Boat show is opened. We of course have some clients there, and for the bigger two of them (don't point others to this thread! ;-) we have printed large files for a toatl nearly reaching 50 meters (164 feet) long… and I don't count any print under 2 meters wide (6.5 feet)…

These prints were made from shots done with the Canon 1Ds3 or the Sinar HY6 and its DB Emotion 75 LV. I'll post a sample of one Sinar shot in the MF Format, though the Canon do stuning files, there is just nothing to compare with the Sinar IQ…

All prints have been subcontracted (as usual) to our lab Dupon. For cost reasons, they aren't Lambda prints but directly printed to PVC rigid support with a HRO Dursty inkjet… If you want to know more about this printer, do google search HRO and Durst…

Below is one of the reasons why I do love the Sinar…

This is the Lagoon 440 shot in the Iles de Lérins in Cannes. 5 meters ( 16.4 feet) wide…

100 % crops:

Here is a Canon sample
I am not sure... Whenever I look at a photo I am looking for the "magic". Some of the MF photos don't have the magic when I compare them to a $3500 Canon 5D Mark III. Why would I spend ten times on a MF camera when most I get is more megapixel...
Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:29 PM

I think the problem is that full frame 35mm cameras are so good that we expect something extra special from MF cameras. We want to have a 10 times " better" image. Clearly this is not the case...
Old October 13th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Haring View Post
I think the problem is that full frame 35mm cameras are so good that we expect something extra special from MF cameras. We want to have a 10 times " better" image. Clearly this is not the case...
Otto,
Try a MF camera once and you may change of advise…

What you see above is a handheld photo of a tiny part of a 5 meters (16.4 feet) print made with an image shot 4 years ago.
At this time there were no Canon 5D3.
Also it was "only" 33 million pixels… Still the quality of the pixels were not comparable, The Sinar's was far beyond of Nikon or Canon were able to produce for big enlargements.
So are today the 645 D Pentax or the Phase backs today compared to the Sinar.

But if you're happy with your gear and your client are satisfied, don't change anything!