Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Camera Discussion > Medium Format & Large Format Cameras > Shooting with the Rollei 6008AF and a Sinar eMotion22 and eMotion54 Digital Backs by Graham Mitchell

Shooting with the Rollei 6008AF and a Sinar eMotion22 and eMotion54 Digital Backs by Graham Mitchell A diary by advertising and fashion photographer Graham Mitchell. He's based in London and is a featured Sinar Photographer.

Old April 19th, 2009, 05:33 PM

Default Fashion twins

Work in progress from today. Shot these twin sisters for a fashion ad. 80mm PQS lens at f8 (focus bracketing)

Old April 19th, 2009, 06:24 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Hi Graham,

I love the idea of two pics together like this anyway as it gives us a sense of the live person that you see and then see again in a different way as you focus on her. Sometimes I see this pairing done by having a fairly static image on one side and then one with dynamic gesture on to be an energetic counterpoint. That way one has stature and dignity as well a real red blood circulating in the models veins.

You pair with the twins gives us more "person" than action and I like it even better. The lone blue drop earring in the full-length figure serves as the focused intriguing eye in the b.g. The lovely long delicate orange color of the earring in the foreground close-up gives us head on elegance of the same style but far more desirable. It is complemented by a receptive long concavity of the broad crossed back-straps of her dress.

Thanks for sharing. Now where are the others from this shoot? Appetite is whetted!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old April 20th, 2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Thanks for sharing. Now where are the others from this shoot? Appetite is whetted!
Just one shot was needed, and this was the selected shot. It was just a matter of getting the front girl to give the right pose/expression.
Old April 20th, 2009, 03:46 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
Just one shot was needed, and this was the selected shot. It was just a matter of getting the front girl to give the right pose/expression.
Graham,

Was this for your portfolio or for a client? If you only took one shot it reminds me of the fellow, Burke, I believe, who had 2 11x14 cameras built for him and a bunch of cassettes for the film. He drove over 1000 miles to take his pictures and exposed just 2 sheets. When he returned, he processed the first shot. It was perfect, so the other film was never processed!

How things have changed for most of us. A majority of photographers would have taken 20-100 pictures or more of the twins. Hey, they're beautiful. I'm glad to see the technical ability and judgement you have acquired allows you to repeat the essentially one shot approach as you certainly nailed it.
sure saves disk space and processing time!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old April 20th, 2009, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Graham,

Was this for your portfolio or for a client? If you only took one shot it reminds me of the fellow, Burke, I believe, who had 2 11x14 cameras built for him and a bunch of cassettes for the film. He drove over 1000 miles to take his pictures and exposed just 2 sheets. When he returned, he processed the first shot. It was perfect, so the other film was never processed!

How things have changed for most of us. A majority of photographers would have taken 20-100 pictures or more of the twins. Hey, they're beautiful. I'm glad to see the technical ability and judgement you have acquired allows you to repeat the essentially one shot approach as you certainly nailed it.
sure saves disk space and processing time!

Asher
Hi Asher, I'm afraid you misunderstood me. I did take a number of exposures, but all of the one setup, which allowed us to see what poses or expressions worked. I do subscribe to the notion of thinking more and shooting less though

This was for a client, who was at the shoot.