• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Network Issue with part of USA and Europe!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Our cloud server in Dallas Texas, Rackspace Cloud, is having problems due to the main internet provider, Level 3, for part of the USA and Europe is having problems for the past few hours. Let's see what happens. It's intermittent and hopefully will be resolved shortly.

I'm considering setting up a duplicate provider that uses a different resources of the internet to be able to do perhaps a DNS re-routing so as to have a kind of mirrored website that's even more bullet proof than the current cloud.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,

I was planning on writing to you about this, glad to hear that you are aware of it.

...I'm considering setting up a duplicate provider that uses a different resources of the internet to be able to do perhaps a DNS re-routing so as to have a kind of mirrored website that's even more bullet proof than the current cloud.
Honestly, I think that this would be an overkill for OPF. How often have we got these issues after all? Besides, it would be a technical challenge and a very expensive setup. Since the forums run on a database, you cannot just create a mirror server elsewhere. I hope that you will spend your valuable time on more pressing changes needed to the forums. :)

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

I was planning on writing to you about this, glad to hear that you are aware of it.

Honestly, I think that this would be an overkill for OPF. How often have we got these issues after all? Besides, it would be a technical challenge and a very expensive setup. Since the forums run on a database, you cannot just create a mirror server elsewhere. I hope that you will spend your valuable time on more pressing changes needed to the forums. :)

Thanks for your concern, Cem! Your expert input is always valued! I had thought that being on the cloud would shield us totally from poor connections! This event was global for Level3.com. Hopefully Rackspacecloud will catch up. They had some control panel issues and gradually they will be normalized.

My son is the head of marketing for the Amazon cloud so I'll ask his advice. Likely there's not much better we can do.

Asher

StuartRae

I can confirm that OPF was a bit slow earlier today, but things seem to have returned to normal now.

Considering how few problems OPF has, I wouldn't suggest extreme remedies.

Regards,

Stuart

I can confirm that OPF was a bit slow earlier today, but things seem to have returned to normal now.

Considering how few problems OPF has, I wouldn't suggest extreme remedies.

Hi Stuart,

Things seem back to normal now, and I agree with your assessment.

Thanks for taking care at your end, much appreciated.

Cheers,
Bart

Since my visit this morning, all of the posts that were marked as unread at that time were marked as read at this visit.

Be sure to back-track a day or so or you may miss a lot of posts.

Asher Kelman

Anyone had issues this morning? I had a latency of about 30 to 45 seconds around 9:15 am Pacific Time. Its perfect here now!

Please post any significant issues here so we have data to report to our provider.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Anyone had issues this morning? I had a latency of about 30 to 45 seconds around 9:15 am Pacific Time. Its perfect here now!

Please post any significant issues here so we have data to report to our provider.

Seems essentially "normal" here in Dallas at 1731Z.

Best regards,

Doug