• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Amazon

Rhys Sage

pro member
Hmm... Not a stunningly honest company in my experience...

Let's review my experience of Amazon so far...

1. A book on Delphi 6 which was supposed to arrive within 3 days and was allegedly in stock. It took 6 weeks and 3 complaints to Amazon and one complaint to my credit card company before they actually supplied it. During this process they claimed they'd already sent a copy - but failed to supply any answer as to my query about the tracking number, hence casting doubt on their claim (which I didn't believe anyway).

2. A book on TCL/TK which was supposed to have arrived from Amazon's new stock. What turned up was a dog-eared, worn out book that had stains all over it. That was sent back and a refund requested. They sent a coupon and eventually only coughed up the cash after the local Consumer Ombudsman got onto them - and my credit card company.

3. A charger for my Nikon 995. This was allegedly back-ordered with a delivery date of 3 weeks hence. I waited and 3 weeks later, no delivery but a delay notice, stating it'd be another 3 weeks. I waited another 3 weeks and the same process was repeated. By the end of 12 weeks I had yet another lie for them about a further 3 weeks wait - during which they had been holding onto my money for 3 months. I issued a chargeback via my credit card company.

Now that all happened between 3 and 5 years ago. Today I ordered a book I was interested in and had the "delivery on September 23rd - October 3rd" message. This looks to be the same kind of BS that I've had off them before. I regret now giving them a 4th chance. It seems once a crook, always a crook.

Now that all happened between 3 and 5 years ago. Today I ordered a book I was interested in and had the "delivery on September 23rd - October 3rd" message. This looks to be the same kind of BS that I've had off them before. I regret now giving them a 4th chance. It seems once a crook, always a crook.

Hi Rhys,

Too bad you have such experiences at Amazon. My experiences are rather different. I've only purchased a number of books and a CD (in different shipments), but they were all delivered promptly (fitting the chosen (low) level of urgency), usually sooner than their initial estimate.

I'm currently awaiting a shipment of an out-of-stock couple of books, so we'll see how that goes.

Bart

John Sheehy

Let's review my experience of Amazon so far...

Did you write that song that said, "If it weren't for bad luck; I'd have no luck at all"?

Your experience is very unusual. I've never had a problem with Amazon, except that sometimes I have found that using the back arrow in a browser can duplicate an order, but they pay return postage. I almost always get everything faster than they say. I usually use the super-saver free shipping, and even then I've received packages on occasion the next day or the day after when the website said it might take ten days. Super-saver seems to be a low-priority tag for processing orders; not just a shipping rate, and if things are slow, super-saver can be equivalent to 2-day shipping.

I have to say that my experience w/ Amazon.com has been exactly the opposite of Rhys. I have purchased dozens of books, CDs, 2 camera bodies, 3 or 4 lenses, a scanner, cookware, etc. from them.

There have been an occasional problem, the scanner arrived completely trashed, a replacement was shipped 2nd day air the day after I complained. A batch of CDs I ordered as a gift for a friend never arrived. Amazon credited my credit card immediately upon confirming that they had never been received.

Like any mega-company, things are gonna go wrong from time to time, it's how the company, and the customer, handle the problem that makes the difference. All in all, I prefer to shop at Amazon.com because I know I'll be treated right.

My $0.02 worth

<Chas>

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Again, I have better Karma with Amazon than you, Rhys, but I never told them I was British! I regularly but from them and have never had any problem. Some folk even buy from them because returns are said to be so easy. I just received two books and they were as new as promised and a bargain.

Your "once a crook, always a crook" is rather "un-generous" or as my classmates in U.K. would say, "unchristian". Your book might simply being re-stocked from a warehouse. These things are not common nor tragic.

I look at things as that which educates, amuses, enthralls me with beauty or is existentially important. This Amazon issue is a very minor nuisance.

Your books will arrive this time in good condition! Don't sweat it, Rhys!

Asher

Rhys Sage

pro member
Well, it's the 20th. That book was allegedly due to ship on the 24th. It's not even listed as in-stock on the Amazon website and it's the 20th now...

Smells like the usual Amazon BS.