• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Couple

Here are some pictures of my friend and her boyfriend. They were nice enough to be my models for the day.

KassiTimresized.jpg

KassiTim1resized.jpg

KassiTim3resized.jpg

KassiTim4resized.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here are some pictures of my friend and her boyfriend. They were nice enough to be my models for the day.

Hi Jessica, some quick thoughts:

This first pciture of thr couple on the balcony is spoiled by a dtraction of the bright area on the top left. I'd simply crop away the top of the entire pciture, about 3/4" on the screen view, so that the pictures is intimate and the backgrounf give a rustic context of golden and gree leaves and trees.

KassiTimresized.jpg

This next picture I'd crop away 1/2" from the left border and the same or less from the bottom. This is a picture with an attractive natural dome surrounding the lovers and it works.

KassiTim1resized.jpg

The next picture I didn't go for, as it seemed more a snap shot and it didn't spark interest to me, so I removed it from commenting on.

Your last picture is a paradoxical challenge. The couple is well posed and photographed, but so is the landscape. The challenge is to balance them. To me, a snap shot makes no such decision. I'd consider the couple to be most important given their size in the image. I'd just accentuate that by removing the top 1/2" or a little more from the top of the picture so that the landscape is definitely in the b.g. This devotes a greater proportion of the real estate to the main subjects. Then we know what we must primarily focus on. Of course the landscape is so magical that it will not be lost, even when cropped. I have no compunction against removing the sky. The landscape is still so rich in color and texture that we can still do that.

KassiTim4resized.jpg

For such images, I'd pick the best and allow us to discuss that, unless the pictures need to be together.

Here that is somewhat the case.

As a general comment, I feel that we have somehow gotten to a state where we want evenly illuminated photographs! Well I understand that a lens that does that is valuable. However, we might also consider darkening the perimeter of pictures in some cases so that the eyes are directed inwards. Selective burning in can enhance a picture.

If everything is uniformly lit, then it's perhaps technically satisfying but often less interesting!

Selective sharpening of important zones of interest and blurring or darkening of less important areas are ways of fine-tuning the presentation of the picture.

Your images may be completed. If so, that they are. Perhaps you might want to pick one of these images and further optimize it if you feel that might work for you too. Then we might see some interesting new versions arise.

Asher

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Nice comments. I'm sure I'll find them applicable to some of my work. The observation about illumination falloff is interesting. I guess that is one reason that we are so often satisfied with setups that have a lot of that!

What is "mafical"?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi, Asher,

Nice comments. I'm sure I'll find them applicable to some of my work. The observation about illumination falloff is interesting. I guess that is one reason that we are so often satisfied with setups that have a lot of that!

What is "mafical"?

Mafical is related to a lost songs of dance troupes in Venetian society during which time dancers smoked a rare weed, fia malspelloitita and had geat visions and chanted magic spells :)

Asher

Clayton Lofgren

Mafical is related to a lost songs of dance troupes in Venetian society during which time dancers smoked a rare weed, fia malspelloitita and had geat visions and chanted magic spells :)

Asher

I thought that was what it meant, but glad you verified. After your concise and magical explanation, I am tempted to go back through your old posts and find a few more words that I am not dead sure of.