• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hoya ND 400

Ralph Honsbeek

Hi there ,

I was just wondering about getting a 9 to 10 stop reduction ND filter ,
I was looking at the ND 1000 (110) B&W but way to expensive , then I saw the
Hoya ND 400 , which I am curious about it doing the job just as well. I also saw a mention of a Hoya ND x 400 , with an X just wondeting if anyone have ever used these filters ,

thanks

Erie Patsellis

pro member
Ralph,
I have a set (.3, .6, .9, 1.8, 3.0 or 1,2,3,6,10 stops) of B+W filters, in 52mm. As a Nikon shooter, I have found that when doing long exposures, rarely do I need shallow DOF, and have a set of slower Nikkors with 52mm filter threads that I use for most of this work.

Another use is in studio, having older Broncolor packs, the lowest setting is 200 w/s, while fine for film based LF product work, I find that the ND filters allow me to use my lenses at their sharpest apertures while avoiding the whole "put another head in the other room" approach to reducing power.

Given the choice between Hoya and B+W, I prefer B+W, though I have heard many good things about the Hoya line, I've been using B+W for years and have never had any issues whatsoever.

erie