• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: At Last! Polaroid Rebirth as "Impossible"! U.K. get first dibs!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
polaroid-film-goes-on-sale-0.jpg

If Lady Gaga is promoting Polaroid in her latest video, something is in the wind! Well Polaroid has bowed to popular demand and the SX-70 type camera is going to be available again

"Polaroid has confirmed that it will be releasing a new Polaroid instant camera later this year after a campaign to not let the film format die revealed fresh consumer interest and we've got photos of what it will look like.

The new camera, which features a cute looking fascia, will come in three colours - silver, black and faux wood and offer fans of the outdated film format the chance to relive the glory days once again." Source It's this film that allows one to make all sorts of art versions with a stick or knife on the developing film.

But the most exciting news comes from a project called "Impossible"

Film suitable for Polaroid cameras will on sale at the end of the month following a two year project but two men sad to see Polaroid discontinue it.

Although officially canned by Polaroid, that hasn't stopped a company called the Impossible Project, recreating in a factory the film to sell to avid fans once more.

The films, developed with help from Harman Technology, will be available in the UK on 25 March and will cost around £16 for a pack of eight photo sheets.

"We've made the impossible possible" say the founders of the project.

The PX100 has been developed for the SX-70 camera, while the PX6000 will be available for the One series of instant cameras. The films will develop from a blue colour before unveiling the black and white image rather than the original Polaroid film, which started a murky brown/yellow.

The Impossible Project plans to release colour film in the summer this year.​
Source

This is a good start although we'll have to wait a while to get 8x10 Polaroid type film again!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,

I know that it is blasphemy but I never "got" it why people are so gushy about Polaroid. Now I have to don my flame retardant clothes and hide somewhere for a while, lol.

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

I know that it is blasphemy but I never "got" it why people are so gushy about Polaroid. Now I have to don my flame retardant clothes and hide somewhere for a while, lol.

Cheers,

First, Cem, I'm glad you visited and raised the question. What's sow special? Polaroid self developing materials are designed to eschew the many levels of post processing we normally expect to do with film in the chemical darkroom or digitally in software. So when one shoots with Polaroid, the composition, lighting, what's there and not there, the lines in the skin and size of the eyes breasts and varicose veins in the legs do not change. It's an ideal "factive" photographic medium. It only records what's actually there.

now it so happens that folk quickly discovered that one could float off the colored picture and drop it off on to art paper for an impressive print. What's more, the inevitable wrinkles gave the image a whimsical feeling and hey, why not add several layers of Polaroids, so although each layer is purely factive, the sum of the layers starts to have it's own fictive magic.

I happen to have Polaroid film obtained at great cost and stored at the correct temp. My good wife thought all my film should be in the same place, ie, in the freezer and so thousands of dollars of 8x10 Polaroid film are currently frozen and I'm scare to try to see what will still work. I guess if the pods didn't burst, it might be fine.

Asher

It may campare to finding a first girlfriend on Facebook, remembering the happy moments toguether and realizing that you are not in the 80's anymore and -important as well-, married to digital...

Asher Kelman

It may campare to finding a first girlfriend on Facebook, remembering the happy moments toguether and realizing that you are not in the 80's anymore and -important as well-, married to digital...
Yes, Leonardo,

But a good conversation over fine food and wine with friends is good too. That's how I feel.

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Hi Asher,

Cheers,

I know what your saying, but have you ever seen Andre Kertesz' 'The Polaroids'? It's a marvellous little book of pictures that are mournful and beautiful.

Mike