• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: Canon develops Hybrid image stabilization system

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Bart,

I was amused to see you bring this news as I have been following up on the discussions regarding it in various fora. It seems that this new method of IS will have an impact on the macro photographers. We'll see how the practice will look like. For the time being, I await the reviews to come...

Cheers,

I would like to venture - considering the empahsis on the benefits the new dual image stabilisation system to macro and close-up shooting - that we may perhaps see a new macro lens from Canon? Not than I imagine the 100mm f/2.8 Macro needs replacing (it's optics still apparently beat the Nikon equivalent, whose users have also complained that the VR does not help during Macro shooting), and it's for all intents and purposes an optically perfect lens, but with this new kind of stabilisation it may be sweet. Or perhaps Canon has something else up their sleeve (e.g. a true Macro zoom, something Nikon did before? A 50-150 f/2.8 IS 1:1-capable Macro might be a nice lens).