• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Real Honest to Goodness Family Photo Album and then digital?

RonPrice

By 2007/2008, as I inched my way annalistically/incrementally to the age of 65 and as my last particular photo album was becoming filled to its maximum intake, people in my world were beginning to send digital photos, enough to begin to fill this and future photograph albums to overflowing. Those who could afford it, and who had the interest, in the first years of this new, this 3rd, millennium, had begun to make videos of their family/personal lives; still others had telephones with visual images of the person they were talking to. There were large screen TVs, computer monitors, CDs, mini-discs, indeed, a cornucopia of new technology that was making the old world of the photograph in an album, the idea of keeping even the digital photo in an album, somewhat passe even declasse.(1)

Time would tell just how I would respond to this change, this diversification, this amplification, in the technology of photography that had insensibly altered the rationale for the very existence of the old photo album. Photo albums had been delighting the eye, had been part of my memorabilia, for well nigh 60 years. As I write these words, fifteen months short of my 65th birthday, I have decided to continue to put digitals photo in this and future albums on the same basis as those photos from cameras that I and my family have been doing since early in the 20th century.-Ron Price, 18 April 2008. (1)one rarely sees this word, declasse--acute accent on the last e--in literature these days, but it seems applicable here; it means lowered in social significance, relevance and standing.)

PS I now have a 5 volume 2600 page memoire and 12 volumes of photos, but I don't know how to post any of them here.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ron,

The physical albums are still important. Weddings need digital slide shows online, of course, but the bride and bridegroom and the families still want a physical album to treasure. They can live side by side. A book s something a grandmother can show her friends wthout plugging anything into electricity. There's still something solid and reliable about a book of family pictures, even with food and coffee stains!

Still we want to get your pictures online.

1. Get a $50 flatbed scanner.

Asher

RonPrice

Sorry, Asher, but on a pension and living from pay-period to pay-period luxuries like that are out of the question but--thanks for the suggestion.-Ron

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ron,

Do you have a digital camera? If so, you can take a picture of your real pictures in the shade and that's good enough for us!

Asher

RonPrice

Belated thanks, Asher

Belated thanks, Asher; I'll tell my wife about that. She takes all the photos in our family, at least our now empty nest. My 3 children and 2 of my grandchildren all take digital photos. My interest in photography is more academic than physical.-Ron