• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Problem: Shooting for Praise

Rachel Foster

That's just it, Cem. People have been very kind and invested a lot of time in me. But I"m not to a place where I can appropriately use and apply all of the time and help I've been given. I need to go somewhere and study until I can properly make use of the information and encouragement I've been shown.

I'm in over my head. I'm going to go learn to swim and not take up people's time when I'm just not prepared.

Cem_Usakligil

Fare well..

That's just it, Cem. People have been very kind and invested a lot of time in me. But I"m not to a place where I can appropriately use and apply all of the time and help I've been given. I need to go somewhere and study until I can properly make use of the information and encouragement I've been shown.

I'm in over my head. I'm going to go learn to swim and not take up people's time when I'm just not prepared.
In that case, I wish you all the luck you can get. Swim back soon.

Cheers,

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Wait don't go....

Rachel,

For me, you will be missed if you leave us! I love the questions, the enthusiam and even if you don't know it, you are making all of us think - something very good for all of us to do.

That being said, there is a really good book I used by Rob Sheppard on Basic Digital Photography worth buying and it's easy reading.

Rachel,
I wish to second Kathy and request that you don't go away. Your questions and the answers in this thread have helped me to think about why I take pictures, and I am very grateful for that.

As an amateur photographer, I am obviously not shooting to put bread on the table and I do not depend on the praise of others, as expressed in money.

I do very much like the praise of my subjects, as far as they are able to express themselves (I do mostly landscapes and architecture). For family members and other non-professional models should be reasonably happy with the results. Not only do I want to take more pictures of them, but the results should also express their personalities and the way I feel towards them in some way, and I would think that I would not have achieved this, if they ran away cursing me and that camera of mine.

Lastly, and most importantly, I take pictures for myself. Photography has helped me in my appreciation of the world around me, even when I am required to look at things in real time, and not back on the lighttable. The very best are canned memories. looking at them, even years after, bring back the feelings, the smell, the fun or whatever of the moment. The technical quality of those pictures can sometimes generously be described as doubtful, but I know what the picture represents for me.

Nevertheless, I think some technical competence is required, knowing what you can do with your camera will help you to achieve the results you want. The same goes for Photoshop, or any other picture treatment software, and there might be others which operate more along the lines of your thinking. But unless you find technical points or the finer details of photoshop operation to start to really interest you, good enough is good enough. Many great photographers just got by with shooting slides, and even now technical wizardry cannot replace the "be there" part of "f:8 and be there"

I don't think that praise, or condemnation, will harm your vision. It will rather profit from being exposed to other visions. But most of all, the whole thing should be something you enjoy.

Christoph

Rachel Foster

Chris, you've gone right to the crux of the problem. I don't want to just be a taker on the forum. I want to come back when I can contribute, too. Maybe if there were a section just for beginners or issues that interest beginners I'd feel more comfortable. But right now I take and haven't much to give.

It's not who I am and I'm comfortable with the role.

Rachel Foster

I'm going to take you at your word, Nicolas. I've posted two portraits, not for indepth critique (I'm not ready for that level of investment) but maybe overall quick 30 second reactions.

Last edited:
Rachel,

Good to see you back at "work". Reading the question and replies got me thinking. I could reply on the pictures I make for my work* (shots of industrial engines through an endoscope - guess to some defenitions it would make even me a pro shooter :) ) that are "telling more then a thousend words" but are of iffy quality. Or of the venture I started shooting film trying to understand the technical part of SLR's with often two or more rolls of film wasted trying to understand flash lighting without any useable pictures. And the venture continous - learning and yes also mastering shots, but always ready for the next try.

The praise part has shifted from recognition for a "fantastic shot" to getting the shot as visioned on beforehand. In the meantime shooting back and forth between al types of photography, from macro to portrait, landscape to even a friends wedding made me realise I was figuring the same stuff out again and again. Time for a photolog, writing down what I did what worked and what not.

So I guess my point is learning styles. I took a while to figure out how to learn. To focus on a vision and then gaining the technical knowledge to realize the shot. But in a structured way - getting to understand what knowledge I miss and then search or ask.
That path is rewarding - or gains praise if you wish - by itself!

Chris, you've gone right to the crux of the problem. I don't want to just be a taker on the forum. I want to come back when I can contribute, too. Maybe if there were a section just for beginners or issues that interest beginners I'd feel more comfortable. But right now I take and haven't much to give.

It's not who I am and I'm comfortable with the role.

Asking good questions is just as important as giving good answers! (do I sound socratic or what)Given that this thread runs to several pages, members of the forum obviously think that the points you raise are worth pondering and replying to. So there is absolutely no reason to feel you are not contributing.

Christoph

Allen Maestas

I've been troubled by something I've observed in myself and I'd like to hear how others feel about this. Has anyone else run into a tendency to shoot for praise?

I'm new, I'm uncertain, my self-confidence is fragile (re: photography). When I shoot something that garners praise...I like it. I really like it. The problem? Will that skew my "vision" to producing similar things for that praise? That's how sitcoms came into being. I don't want to be a "sitcom photographer," one who produces that which garners public acclaim but has no inherent value.

If I'm vaguely conscious of this, I think it's a sure bet it's a not-negligible presence in my unconscious. And yet, feedback is needed to help me work on weaknesses, capitalize on strengths.

What to do? Show one's work to very few, trusted people? Those who will acknowledge what's good about it and not stroke for the sake of stroking?

As you grow as a photographer, you will inherently know what is wrong with your images. You will be able to find the weakness long before anyone else does. To be a good photographer you have to be tough on yourself and not expect others to guide you. It's a competitive field, super competitive. You should like praise, it's a good thing, it tells you when you are doing things right (sometimes). However, what often can happen, is that you began to get praise from people who have become your close friends. You have to be able to use your own judgment, your own common sense in dictating how good your image is. Be sensible. It shouldn't take harsh criticisms to make you better, if it does you are inherently a lazy person, and want others to do the work for you. You never stop learning in photography, never. So yes, take in the praise, enjoy it, embrace it, but don't let it govern who you are as an artist. You should always be striving for bigger and better, no matter how much praise you get. I seriously doubt any of the best photographers in history needed positive or negative feedback to motivate them to create and do what they loved most. Use critiques and accolades as extra tools, nothing else.

Al