• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Should active OPF members be generally expected to post images?

fahim mohammed

I enjoy photography..discussing it, seeing others' works, helping where I can, learning from others. I am not an expert and do not want to pretend to be one.

I enjoy taking pictures of family, my travels, interesting things I see ( to me at least ). I have not shared the pics I take anywhere as much as I have on OPF. I have made ' friends '. I like the crowd. But I never forget that I am a guest, as are all others in someone else's house. I have my opinions on issues and on persons, just like everyone else. I share my opinions with others, always, I hope, in a civil manner.

I might have misread some posts, but I get the feeling that some folks are averse to softy/touchy pictures. I, for one, like the simple things..the everyday things..the family things. They are not
art, they might not serve any higher calling..but they bring me joy. And I want to share this joy
with my friends at OPF.

I expect, others also, to consider sharing some of their joy and expertise with us. If this is out of line
or not to be expected, please let me know.

Regards.

Cem_Usakligil

...I, for one, like the simple things..the everyday things..the family things. They are not art, they might not serve any higher calling..but they bring me joy. And I want to share this joy with my friends at OPF.

I expect, others also, to consider sharing some of their joy and expertise with us. If this is out of line or not to be expected, please let me know.
Hi Fahim,

How can anybody ever say that you are out of line with these genuine comments? Let's all share our joy of photography, it will only multiply by doing so.

Cheers,

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Erik, I might gently point out: Observations about the age of other photographers begs the question of your own.

Also, many of the members here have shot some exquisite nudes. Dear Erik, you are stereotyping. I encourage you to look at some of the work here. It might knock your socks off.

Erik, can you please type bigger. I have a hard time reading my computer screen at my age.

Rachel: Yup, a guy knows he's "old" when looking at a wonderful nude female image knocks his...socks off.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Erik, can you please type bigger. I have a hard time reading my computer screen at my age.

Rachel: Yup, a guy knows he's "old" when looking at a wonderful nude female image knocks his...socks off.
I only realize my age when I look for my socks afterwards! :)

Asher

Rachel Foster

Sorry, that was a typo. "Socks" was not the right word. I meant a word starting with a different letter but I can't remember what it was.

What were we talking about again?

Wendy Thurman

lol....Thats funny....I know that most photographers here are older...I dont know how many follow the modeling end of things specially on the freelance side of it and what the young girls wear or dont wear specially in the competitive markets like NY,CA and FL.....When you get to a lot of older photographers they still see things with a 70's perspective and others are made uncomfortable by someone whos so young and can be so incredably hot.

Vision is timeless. Look at the work of Vermeer or Carvaggio if you want to appreciate light in the hands of a master. In 400 years, virtuosity hasn't changed.

Wendy

fahim mohammed

Wendy has hit a bull's eye with her reply. As often repeated virtuosity never goes out of style.

Taking of ' older folks ' on this forum; some of us, if not all of us, could give anyone a run for their money in most things. But certain things will always be cherished and always remain.

I guarantee you, most youth, would feel very inadequate if we compared notes.

Do I want to be young again? H*ll no, once is enough. been there, done that.

Regards.

lol....Thats funny....I know that most photographers here are older...I dont know how many follow the modeling end of things specially on the freelance side of it and what the young girls wear or dont wear specially in the competitive markets like NY,CA and FL.....When you get to a lot of older photographers they still see things with a 70's perspective and others are made uncomfortable by someone whos so young and can be so incredably hot.

ErikJonas

Banned

I asked a newer member via a private note why i had not heard from them,had not seen a post from them and this was the response i got >>>>>>>>

"I haven't made a post because I made too many at first, and I don't have many photos that are worth sharing at this stage unfortunately."......End quote.

What you will have is a lot of people who wont participate in conversations cause they dont have images to share...It only hurts the board...The ones who have been here for a long time,are comfy and fine with just talking with 6 or 7 or 8 people,regulars wont care...they mostly dont want the board to get bigger and to have to deal with various personalities they dont like...

The survival of a forum over a period of time is people talking more so then images....Images make it interesting but conversation is the core part of a forum,the life blood of it.....People who wont post cause they dont have images will simply go to another forum where its not a issue...

The more interactive and open a forum is the more it grows and people feel a part of it...The more restrictions and regulations a forum has the smaller and less appealing it is......Art should be appritiated and people should be allowed to take part be it a beginner or someone who just wants to view,talk and be in the company of the artists......

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The survival of a forum over a period of time is people talking more so then images....Images make it interesting but conversation is the core part of a forum,the life blood of it.....People who wont post cause they dont have images will simply go to another forum where its not a issue...

It's a free world. Folk are not charged to join and they must find their own value here to stay. We do work hard to do that and you, more than most, must know that's true!

But we, ourselves also have an identity. It has formed by the interaction of many folk here. A lot of photographers you may not have met, visit here between projects. Not all our members check in every day. We're not trying to get statistics up to draw people in to sell things. Now we're a small, specialized community that tried to withdraw from hype. We want to relax, and enjoy all aspects of photography and what influences us. Although we're fairly technically competent in most areas, photographs are emphasized as opposed to gear, competitions or mastering one particular market. There are specialty forums for each of these.

Do we want to survive over time and grow? For sure, but in quality, depth and breadth. Photographer's here value a rich array of images, experiences and ideas. We like feedback that's from multiple points of view. So to this extent, growth is a worthy cause.

The more interactive and open a forum is the more it grows and people feel a part of it...

Just arriving and merely delivering an opinion on everything is not likely to go down well here, unless you have special insight, knowledge, expertise or experience. Folk make an assessment of every other person. Can they be trusted, are they helpful, do they share? This weighing of things is not based on either elitism or any arrogance. Many of us work very hard in and outside of photography. The time in OPF is squeezed into our precious spare time. We want more than chat. We can put their feet up, chat and share goodies, so we all go home entertained and amused. Sometimes, we're inspired to something new or approached from a fresh perspective.

An example in point is the thread on the 70-200 4.0L lens by Sydney. I, myself was challenged by several of her numerous pictures. We heard different points of view. Ken opened up his own collected references to photographers that used snap shot as a style. Altogether, we all had more than we gave, but we all gave. Sydney received this attention provided some personal background which helped us understand a few of her pictures better. This and Jim Galli's picture of his daughter as a young girl was a call back to earth and the special value of the personal picture.

Without Sydney's pictures, we'd have just had a far less interesting chat. But this might not have interested you, so you could go to Janet Smith's landscapes, Frank Doorhoff's, "Leslie" dangling from a rope or perhaps to Jim Galli or Alain Briot's fine landscapes.

Your own pictures, the ones of the outside and the snow, as well as the new ones of the motorbikes gives you some identity to us. A person who just gives opinions or tells stories is just that. One who shared photographs provides the fuel for the core values of OPF in promoting each others paths to our respective goals.

The more restrictions and regulations a forum has the smaller and less appealing it is......
We have no overbearing restrictions and regulations, just a personality one likes or does not. This OPF personality is concerned with being open, honest and trying to appreciate the parameters by which our work effects us and can been improved, presented, marketed, promoted, sold or just shown to us here.

Art should be appritiated and people should be allowed to take part be it a beginner or someone who just wants to view,talk and be in the company of the artists......

It's a pity, but not everyone can simply come up on stage and play in an orchestra. Our forum is somewhat like that. Come, show yourself and your work, give your opinions and ask, what am I giving and getting? If someone wishes to just turn up and observe, that's fine. If someone has a reference on a subject or an answer to a question, go ahead, we want that helpful comment. If they have no images, then I don't mind. A beginner has a question that’s not readily found by a search; please ask us! We don't need pictures to go with every post, far from it!

However, when one creates, for him/herself, a high profile, with many posts, continuously talking a big talk about everything), people start to wonder what's going on. With nothing to examine or enjoy, eventually, folk want to see something of substance, as I've said, something brought to the table.

We're open to ideas for improvement but based on our core values, photography first. We run a self-imposed discipline in having fun this way.

If however, none of this has resonance, likely, we're not a good match.

Asher

ErikJonas

Banned

I didnt mean my post to seem harsh if it read that way....I think its bad when someone new comes,introduces themsleves and then feels they can not talk with everyone else cause they have no images....

Asher you work very hard and you as well are very patient...I read that thread,most of it anyway about Sydney....I had no idea what to say so i didnt post in it....But people were really helpful to her....

And you really dont let people put others down unless its in a pseudo-rhetorical way....I have been on boards that have complete double standards about things like that....

Theres a lot of good people here thus your doing things right...This is a pictures priority forum,something i have not come across.....The new forum where you can upload directly i think will have much more participation....

Post YES! Host NO! Users shouldn't be allowed to host images elsewhere, because we will end up with broken links over time that will destroy good photographic discussions.

Rachel Foster

Erik

Erik, you've not said your age, but from your posts I sense the impetuous enthusiasm that is often found in young adults (those who are lucky, anyway). You throw yourself into new ventures whole-heartedly (I am guessing) and passionately.

If I may be allowed, I would like to offer a word of advice. Sit back and see how OPF operates. Somethings I would do differently if I were "da boss," no question. However, for all of that, OPF works. It is successful and helpful to many, including those who come to read only.

So....that's my "mom" shtick for the night.

Oh, and...post more images! I'd like to see more of your work.

ErikJonas

Banned

Rachel out of respect for Asher i'm not going to comment on that...HAAAAAAAA =P

**Pours Rachel a cup of tea**

Doug Kerr

Hi, Will,

Post YES! Host NO! Users shouldn't be allowed to host images elsewhere, because we will end up with broken links over time that will destroy good photographic discussions.
I don't know what you mean. Every image seen here (so far) is hosted elsewhere.

Best regards,

Doug

Hi, Will,

I don't know what you mean. Every image seen here (so far) is hosted elsewhere.

Best regards,

Doug

Hi Doug,

I think Will's comment could be misinterpreted. He does have a point, which is a concern; Links to other host sites can be broken if people remove their files or reorganize their server directory structure.

This is one reason I hold back on illustrating answers on isolated questions with images, even if an image tells a thousand words. Otherwise my personal hosting space will run out sooner rather than later. For other images, I have and keep a dedicated storage on my hosting site thus keeping posts with images and context intact. I have done so since my Usenet days.

Cheers,
Bart

Doug Kerr

Hi Doug,

I think Will's comment could be misinterpreted. He does have a point, which is a concern; Links to other host sites can be broken if people remove their files or reorganize their server directory structure.
Indeed. But at the moment there is no alternative - this is not a matter of choice for the poster (as Will seems to suggest).

I have very limited space on my hosting facility (150 MB altogether, and of course that has to house everything on The Pumpkin as well as images I make available here). Every time I mount a major essay here (such as the ongoing saga of the 345 kV transmission line upgrade), I have to purge images that are linked to earlier posts here, which I regret. But it is the cycle of life.

In another forum in which I am active, there is (limited) provision for an associated hosting, so that images I use in messages (these are typically screen shots or technical drawings, or small images of equipment front panels and the like) do not have to be retained on my own hosting site.

I understand that we may be moving to something like that here. That would be very welcome.

Best regards,

Doug

Cem_Usakligil

...In another forum in which I am active, there is (limited) provision for an associated hosting, so that images I use in messages (these are typically screen shots or technical drawings, or small images of equipment front panels and the like) do not have to be retained on my own hosting site.

I understand that we may be moving to something like that here. That would be very welcome...
Hi Doug,

This is what we are aiming to achieve, among others, by moving to a new server platform.

Cheers,