• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Scam attempt averted

Cem_Usakligil

Hi,

I have advertised to sell a couple of my lenses on the local version of eBay a few days ago. A few reactions followed and I have accepted a good bid from an English speaking "lady" for both lenses. Her way of dealing has made me suspicious, but I have sent a payment request per paypal nevertheless. After that, she came back with a shipment address in Nigeria and told me to ship asap while "she" is busy transferring the money! Can you imagine that? What a scam! <anger>

PS: I have reported the details of this scam attempt to paypal and eBay of course.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cem,

So glad you caught it in time! I'm happier selling in person. Even then I go to a place frequented by cops having coffee for the exchange!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Cem,

So glad you caught it in time! I'm happier selling in person. Even then I go to a place frequented by cops having coffee for the exchange!

Asher
Hi Asher,

Selling in person is my preference too, especially with these expensive lenses. But I would not object to shipping them if I'd get what I asked for.

Cheers,

Alain Briot

pro member
I don't do business with people who live in Nigeria. This country has made a name for itself as being the source of many scams.

I also filter all my emails for the word "nigeria". They go straight into the trash.

No racism here. Just sound business practice based on experience.

Cem_Usakligil

I don't do business with people who live in Nigeria. This country has made a name for itself as being the source of many scams.
Hi Alain.

I think that a large portion of all Internet/Mail scams originate from Nigeria according to a report I have once read. I cannot provide a solid reference though, I don't know where it was I read it.

Cheers,

Cem

Cem_Usakligil

Oh, good gravy. As if the Nigerians don't have it tough enough, now it's being used for scamming.
Yes indeed. Although it is not a recent development, this has been going on for years. We all have heard of the scams about general this and that who needs to transfer 20 Million $ to a foreign bank account and I you'd help you could get a fat commission. And BTW, please help us pay the bank transfer costs of some 10K$ in advance, etc. Gullibility is the reason why these scams have had successes in the past.

Cheers,

Ruben Alfu

Yes indeed. Although it is not a recent development, this has been going on for years. We all have heard of the scams about general this and that who needs to transfer 20 Million $ to a foreign bank account and I you'd help you could get a fat commission. And BTW, please help us pay the bank transfer costs of some 10K$ in advance, etc. Gullibility is the reason why these scams have had successes in the past.

Cheers,

Oh yeah, additional to those generic scams, I have also received ridiculously tempting offers for things I´ve put for sale on the internet (of course, they try to make you send the item with no real guarantee of payment). These scams are a BIG issue, I remember having seen a couple of years ago ( I think) a newsreporter from a major TV network in the US who went all the way to Nigeria to investigate how these scams operate.