• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Honister Slate Part 1

StuartRae

Posted for interest as 'Just Sharing' since I realise that some of the images aren't quite up to standard

In another topic, Cem said:
I have never seen a slate quarry before so I am glad to have seen some pictures of one now.

I've been meaning to post these for a while, so here they are.

Slate has been quarried at Honister since Roman times, and probably earlier, but it wasn't until the 1700s that mines were dug into the face of Honister Crag to follow the seams of high quality slate.

The mine road winds its way to the top of the crag on the left, and on the RHS near the top you can just make out a miners' path.

honister-2.jpg

Honister Crag​

In 1986 the slate works at Honister were closed as production ceased to be commercially viable, but were re-opened in 1996 by a local business man.
These days output is aimed more at the domestic market, especially garden furniture.

honister-1.jpg

Honister Slate works

honister-5.jpg

Honister Slate works

honister-4.jpg

Honister Slate works from the mine road​

Regards,

Stuart

StuartRae

Honister slate Part 2

The slate mines provided building material for many local towns and villages, and work for their inhabitants.

From the edge of Honister Crag, across the motor road of Honister Pass are the abandoned adits and sled-ways of Yew Crag.

honister-3.jpg

Yew Crag​

The miners' lives were hard, and often short but exciting, especially for those whose job it was to steer 1 ton slate sleds down precipitous slopes by running in front of them.

slate-sled.jpg

Honister Slate works​

Regards,

Stuart

Last edited:

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Stuart,
Thanks for sharing these!
Great images and a very interesting narrative.
This looks like an intriguing place. I'd love to see more.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Posted for interest as 'Just Sharing' since I realise that some of the images aren't quite up to standard

In another topic, Cem said:

I've been meaning to post these for a while, so here they are.

Slate has been quarried at Honister since Roman times, and probably earlier, but it wasn't until the 1700s that mines were dug into the face of Honister Crag to follow the seams of high quality slate.

The mine road winds its way to the top of the crag on the left, and on the RHS near the top you can just make out a miners' path.

honister-2.jpg

Honister Crag​

Stuart,

These pictures are more than a casual interest. They document an important part of our lives when what was important becomes something of history. Still, looking back through what's there now and the one picture of the workman fighting the deep slop, shows how folk have risked life and limb to support themselves, their family and community.

This image, even lacking a dramatic sky and birds swooping down to make the place idyllic, is still striking and imposing. Thanks for sharing. There's a lot in this picture to be commended.

I'm glad we have Just Sharing". When it's used like this, we gain such a lot. You take us to a higher level of social thinking and that's good. You do it by historical pictures contrasted with the present and Cedric Massoulier does it with stark contradictions or stand-offs between opposites, appositions or some other disorder which creates a social ripple or tension. You have now used history several times and I hope you will continue as it has your own fingerprints and is fascinating.

Photography defined by beauty is very doable. Work that allows us to think about the human condition, like this, is, IMHO, far more important for us to be willing to engage our energies in. So thanks!

Asher

Last edited:

Cem_Usakligil

Posted for interest as 'Just Sharing' since I realise that some of the images aren't quite up to standard...I've been meaning to post these for a while, so here they are.
Hi Stuart,

I am so glad that you did post these, never mind whatever the prefix. Thanks a lot.

Cheers,

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi Stuart,

Haven't been around much on the forums the last few months, but thanks for posting these - they really capture the atmosphere of the Honister Slate mines.

Can't believe the way they used to get the slate down the hillside - would hate to see the average time before injury in that job.

I believe there's a tour of the mines available now - did you go?

Regards,

Mike Shimwell

Hi Stuart

More from one of my old stamping grounds - I've never been around the mine, but I've walked or driven past on a fairly regular basis over the last 30 years or so.

I like this set of pictures, and particularly for the fact that not all are showing good weather. For those not familiar with the Lake District, it's full of water for a reason:) Precipitation is regular and often heavy.

Mike

StuartRae

Asher,
Thanks for commenting. As always, you find a different way of looking at things.

John Angulat said:
Thanks for sharing these!
Great images and a very interesting narrative.
Thanks John. I always think that providing some background info wherever possible makes the image more interesting.

Cem Usakligil said:
I am so glad that you did post these, never mind whatever the prefix. Thanks a lot.
Hi Cem,
I'm glad they were of interest.

Andrew Stannard said:
Can't believe the way they used to get the slate down the hillside - would hate to see the average time before injury in that job.
I believe there's a tour of the mines available now - did you go?
Hi Andy,
I read somewhere that the average life expectancy of a slate miner in the 19th century was 33 years.
Yes, the tour's been available for a few years. It now includes a via ferrata which follows the old miners' route across the face of the crag. My head for heights isn't what it was, so I'm not sure whether I should give it a go or not.
The aerial view of the slate works was of course taken from the rock gateway just before the start of the old tramway, and not the mine road. It just made life easier to say that :)

And I should also add that the photo of the sled-man is courtesy of the Honister website.

Regards,

Stuart