• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

When you don't have a camera but really really want one...

Rachel Foster

It's physically painful! This morning I saw a spider web glistening with dew in the grass. All I had was my g7 and after four shots the battery gave out. Oh, but for a decent camera!

small1580.jpg

Missed Shot 1: Jacob Eliana

small1578.jpg

Missed Shot 2: Jacob Eliana

I was reminded of Cody's forgotten pulley. Does anyone else have an example of "Oh, if only!"?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It's physically painful! ......

I was reminded of Cody's forgotten pulley. Does anyone else have an example of "Oh, if only!"?

Rachel, my dear lady, this happens to a lot of guys every day just walking down the street, but not for lack of a camera! You just get to appreciate what you do manage to engage with and then, don't screw up!

Come to think of it, I was with Mike Spinak and came across a spider web inside a large sculpture and all I had was my G10 and couldn't grab focus and did not have the wide enough angle to capture the essence of the matter. Yours are far better, so be thankful!

Asher

Rachel Foster

Wise advice, but I will confess to a rampant greediness when it comes to chances of acquiring good/interesting/even outstanding images. I want them ALL!

And...mine are better? Wow.

Mike Shimwell

Wise advice, but I will confess to a rampant greediness when it comes to chances of acquiring good/interesting/even outstanding images. I want them ALL!

And...mine are better? Wow.

I've become happy to be given one. You can't have all the photos, and if you get too many you won't be able to print them or enjoy them. If their life just to be left on your hard drive as a sequence of magnetic zones until the drive fails?

Remember, in Paris you enjoyed being there - even though your were still too tight to buy a disposable film camera:)

Mike

Rachel Foster

True, Mike, but did you see my portrait in the cathedral at Rouen? Or the beach shots? They may not be great art, but I'd be devastated if I hadn't gotten the chance to have a go at them.

Other than that, you are right. If every shot was a great shot, it would get pretty boring.

Mike Shimwell

Hi Rachel

I thought the portrait at Rouen was fabulous - I didn't care about the chain because it was all about her wonder at the light. Truly a remarkable picture.

I missed the beach pictures - I'll work down the list sometime to try and find them.

My, admittedly tongue in cheek, response was merely that every wonderful picture is a gift and there are many other gifts too. I suppose it's just that if I worry about what I miss then I'll not enjoy where I am. Can you imagine that when you take a picture in one direction there is another to be taken behind you:)

Mike

Rachel Foster

Mike, I knew it was teasing, and I delight in such teasing. But...man, I get so excited about a half-way decent shot that it really gets my blood pumping. Honestly, photography has taught me to SEE my surroundings. It's enhanced my being in the moment. However, there are more and more occasions when I'm leaving the camera home, now. And, after all, I didn't take the 5dII to France. I am still patting myself on the back for that one! As my standards continue to get higher, I snap the shutter less and less often. It's a question of balance, I think, and most of us struggle with it.

Thanks for your comments, and now....more teasing! Let the teasing commence!

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Rachel;

I don't know what you're whining about. Personally, I've taken my best photos when I've had no camera. I'd be honored to show them to you some day...if only I could.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Rachel;

I don't know what you're whining about. Personally, I've taken my best photos when I've had no camera. I'd be honored to show them to you some day...if only I could.

I think my best pictures are in lost shoe boxes and film that the lab ruined!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Have a camera but

No batteries. That happened to me when we went to Nova Scotia when I got my G2 in 2003. I left the battery on the charger in the cabin of the ship on our cruise. I did buy a disposable and wes so happy to have it. The prints are on the wall next to my desk.

I am going to be at my stepdaughters wedding in a few weeks. I will be leaving the camera behind and taking my G11. I practiced shooting with it today and while it's a decent digicam, I am sure I will miss the 70-200 and 5d2. Better to miss shooting and have family still speaking to you after the event.

Mike Shimwell

No batteries. That happened to me when we went to Nova Scotia when I got my G2 in 2003. I left the battery on the charger in the cabin of the ship on our cruise. I did buy a disposable and wes so happy to have it. The prints are on the wall next to my desk.

I am going to be at my stepdaughters wedding in a few weeks. I will be leaving the camera behind and taking my G11. I practiced shooting with it today and while it's a decent digicam, I am sure I will miss the 70-200 and 5d2. Better to miss shooting and have family still speaking to you after the event.

KAthy

You need a Zeiss Ikon (or Voight Bessa), a 35 or 50 and a couple of rolls of HP5:)

Low key and nicer to use than a G11.

Mike

Same as in tennis, the most important part is to get (run) to the ball. Being with a camera when a photo needs to be taken is no small thing, and the G11 is one good alternative. When I got mine I soon realized that the battery can and will die with no warning or ceremony, so I went to Adorama and got a back up. It is a practical solution since a spare battery is easy to recharge and to carry in a small camera back. I also have the 2 AA mini flash gun with me all the time that I have the G11...

The 5D2 ... well, I don't have that, but I will in a few weeks ! (why do I allways talk about me mmm?)