• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Fun: Stages of a photographer

Ruben Alfu

I came across this today, sorry I haven´t found who is the author. Enjoy it!

photographer-graph-1024x858.png

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Pretty chart. But it's far, far too optimistic. Most people barely learn to turn their cameras on and anything resembling composition is purely coincidental. After the babies aren't babies any longer the "deep" interest in photography that so many 30-somethings seem to catch like the flu these days abates. The camera goes into the closet, mercifully only making appearances for occasions like holidays and trips.

So a chart portraying reality would be much simpler, much less pretty. It would portray a profile that could be summarized as "I suck, and then I stop."

Point to consider: THe next time you watch a nighttime stadium event behold the beautiful explosion of crowd camera flashes when a big moment occurs (usually early). Each one represents someone who has absolutely no idea how to use a camera.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Ken,
Point to consider: The next time you watch a nighttime stadium event behold the beautiful explosion of crowd camera flashes when a big moment occurs (usually early). Each one represents someone who has absolutely no idea how to use a camera.
Well, maybe one is a guy with an EOS 40D, an EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, a 580EX II and a Better Beamer.

Best regards,

Doug

So a chart portraying reality would be much simpler, much less pretty. It would portray a profile that could be summarized as "I suck, and then I stop."

Actually I think it's more .. "I suck, but my 2nd cousin twice removed likes one really crappy shot and therefore I am a great photographer" and then posts them on Facebook with much praise...........
or some variation on that theme.......... :)
Do like the chart though............

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I just discovered the term, "Gear ***gotry" and wonder how P.C. it might be!

The idea of the graph is to laugh at ourselves and provide some humility. This seems to have originated in the 4chans /p/ community and was written by a guy called !Project. The problem or good side of that community is it's software simple purges info after it's aged and then it's gone forever!

Asher

John Angulat

pro member
Too funny Ruben, thanks for sharing it!
I'm sure we all can relate to more than a few of the path's intersections.
Duke, you cracked me up with the "addition"!!

Daniel Buck

I've got shelfs full of old film cameras, and love lugging them around in the desert. So I guess I'm at least that close to death, HAH!

Nill Toulme

For some reason this reminds me of the t-shirt I encountered on a whitewater raft guide about thirty years ago, that said something like "Being a whitewater guide is like prostitution... you start off doing it for fun, then you do it for friends, next thing you know you're doing it for the money..."

Nill

Nill Toulme

Point to consider: THe next time you watch a nighttime stadium event behold the beautiful explosion of crowd camera flashes when a big moment occurs (usually early). Each one represents someone who has absolutely no idea how to use a camera.

And here I thought they were paid to do that, for the cool effect on the video...

Nill

p.s. And don't let yourself dwell on the fact that they're all voters. :-(

Sydney Rester

This is so timely. I'm definitely in the "I suck" low phase and at the same time, I'm trying to get my hands on my Dad's old AE-1 and his lenses!