• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

LF: Reach for the light (a clash of elements)

Hi All,

I would like to share the following image, with a short explanation of what lead up to it below.

Reach for the light
Reach_for_the_light_by_philosomatographer.jpg

(Linhof Technika V, Schneider-Kreuznach Symmar 150mm at f/5.6, Ilford Technical Line Film at ISO 6, 4 seconds exposure, developed in diluted D-76 for continuous tones, darkroom hand print on 12x16in Ilford MG IV paper)

Wanting to try something different, I sold my Linhof Technorama 6x17cm panoramic camera in exchange for a 4x5in camera kit. A swop of equal value. This was my first dabble in 4x5in (this image was my third actual exposure, and the first making use of lens movements to adjust the plane of focus). My main motivation was that I could not print my 6x17cm negatives in my darkroom, whereas my enlarger could do 4x5in.

As a stroke of luck, somebody threw out a whole lot of large format film (literally a bag full) which I made an offer of $25 for, and purchased. The most interesting content were three sealed boxes of Ilford Technical Line Film, an ultra-high resolution, ultra-high contrast, blue-only sensitive film, not typically used for general photographic purposes. This has been discontinued for quite some time, and information and samples on the web are few and far between, except for references in scientific and engineering papers.

I was intrigued, so I exposed this image at ISO 6 (apparently the recommended speed based on hearsay) and developed it in diluted D-76 developer. The fantastic thing with this film is that it can be developed by inspection with normal darkroom red light, which is what I did, and after about 4 minutes the density looked good. Now it turns out I have created an agonising problem for myself - this is the single most sublime monochrome film I have ever worked with. It takes everything I love about the smoothness of prints made form Ilford Pan F, and hyper-exaggerates it.

I made a 12x16in print from this, taking great care to be as precise as possible given my short experience with this media. Nothing could have prepared me for the effect of seeing a print like this - I am quite literally in photographic heaven.

Long have I wanted to manipulate the focus plane as I have done with this image (the light on the left is about 6 meters away from the lens, the branches on the right about 1 meter). But I am afraid that I can never go back now. This image is a "different" angle of a rather mundane subject, but as I composed it on that big, beautiful ground glass, something snapped inside of me, saying "this is what you have been working up to for a long, long time. This is creative freedom".

Now pleae don't go telling me "this is just the beginning - you'll get an 8x10in soon) because I doubt I will. I don't have an interst in contact prints or alternative processes. In fact, I was pretty happy with 6x7cm except for the lack of lens movements.

The Technika V I acquired (locally) is a thing of beauty, a solid clamshell of engineering perfection. I will miss my 6x17cm and its simplicity of use, but I cannot afford both. Now, my biggest challenge will be to, in addition to other film types, deciding which 140 images will be worthy of the amazing, amazing film, before my stockpile is gone forever.

What I find most humorous, though, is that four years ago I actually cared about the high-ISO performance and f/1.2 lenses of DSLRs (such a common trap to those new to the craft), and here I am in love with an ISO 6 film,and a f/5.6 lens, which I would not exchange for any other imaging medium at this time.

Just for fun, here was another 12x16in print made with the same film, this time an abstract:

Quadra-Illumination
Quadra_illumination_by_philosomatographer.jpg
(Linhof Technika V, Schneider-Kreuznach Symmar 150mm at f/11, Ilford Technical Line Film at ISO 6, 8 seconds exposure, developed in diluted D-76, darkroom hand print on 12x16in Ilford MG IV paper)

I swear these two prints look like 12x16in contact prints (yes, I have seen large contact prints before). What more could any photographer want?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi All,

I would like to share the following image, with a short explanation of what lead up to it below.

Reach for the light
Reach_for_the_light_by_philosomatographer.jpg

(Linhof Technika V, Schneider-Kreuznach Symmar 150mm at f/5.6, Ilford Technical Line Film at ISO 6, 4 seconds exposure, developed in diluted D-76 for continuous tones, darkroom hand print on 12x16in Ilford MG IV paper)

Dawid,

The title is apt! It seems that even the branches and windows are reaching for the inside light as if nature has been overcome with passion for Edison's invention!

The lens, BTW, is no humble piece of glass, LOL!

What temp and dilution for your long soak Dektol?

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Hi Dawid

An interesting progression. I'm now enjoying medium format and you're moving on to play with the focal plane. Good stuff.

I understand your transition from dslr concerns to a more contemplative approach. Also meant to comment on your 35mm stuff the other day. Loved the planes.

Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Dawid

An interesting progression. I'm now enjoying medium format and you're moving on to play with the focal plane. Good stuff.

I understand your transition from dslr concerns to a more contemplative approach. Also meant to comment on your 35mm stuff the other day. Loved the planes.

Mike

Mike,

No reason why one couldn't approach this type of work with a 24 mm TSE lens for example on a 35mm camera. Don't have any of that film though!

Asher

Thank you Mike!

You know, one can be just as contemplative with a DSLR, it's not really about that, it's more that I enjoy the challenge :) This is a hobby, after all.

One of the reasons for my "progression" has been that, with 35mm film, though the "look" can be great, one has to work extremely hard to produce technical quality comparable to a DSLR.

With medium format, as you may well know from your own progression, one is at the same level, maybe a little better, than what a top-end DSLR can do in terms of image quality. I find that my casual work (hand-held, snapshot, etc) usually match or exceed what I could do with a DSLR, especially when it comes to tonal smoothness and dynamic range (remember, I only do black and white film generally). When you are careful, though, the results are spectacularly better, but at the cost of huge bulk (Mamiya RB67 in my case) if you want flexibility. With a Mamiya 7 rangefinder, I guess there is no contest, but it comes at the cost of some severely reduced flexibility, which may or may not be acceptable to some photographers.

With 4x5in now, there is simply no contest. The freedom provided by the lens movements, together with the general great performance form the lenses (I mean, my 50-year old Schneider 150mm produces what can only be considered technically perfect imaging at wide open aperture in the corners of a 12x16in print), and the experience of composing on the ground glass (all new to me) are what makes this such a joyful medium to use, of course at a great cost in terms of bulk and inconvenience (big film holders, dust, etc). But it's not much bigger than a RB67, and even more versatile in some respects (close focusing + lens movements). Not to mention hand-held ability with the rangefinder (have not tried this yet, looking forward to).

So, it has been a journey, but one which has been good for my photography, and life enjoyment in general. It also serves as a distraction in this country that we live in, which has become generally awful - regardless of the superficial "good press" the Soccer World Cup may have provided. The sheer brutality of the daily violence, murders, rapes, corruption, etc. is starting to weigh on my shoulders (I often wonder when it's my and my wife's turn again), and photography is sometimes an escape from all of this.