• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Doel series

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Randy,
...You have a nice set here. The tonal range would make them excellent candidates for Platinum/Palladium prints. The room with the tiled floor reminds me of a Vermeer painting.

What is the story behind Doel? ...
Thanks for your kind comments. Interesting idea about the palladium prints. Perhaps I will look for a master printer to have some printed. Re. the Vermeer comment, I wish that the quality of light was half as good as it is on a Vermeer painting! :)

I had written a short intro here and here about the story of Doel. Nevertheless, repeating it here is not a bad idea after all:

There is a small village called Doel in the harbour area of Antwerp, Belgium. This village is (almost) deserted now. It is stuck between the industrial areas of the Antwerp Harbor and a towering nuclear power plant right next to it. The Belgian government has been trying to evacuate the village for some decades but some of the inhabitants have refused to leave. Eventually, the majority has moved on but the houses they left behind have not been torn down until 2010. In the past decade squatters have occupied many of those houses. By now all of them are gone and only a few houses are still occupied. Some houses were as of 2010 in state of extreme disintegration but some were still safe enough to visit (barely). The village has become a valhalla for the urban exploration photographers. Here is a set of pictures I took there during various visits between 2008 and 2010. See this website for more info about Doel.
Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Randy,

Hi Cem,

Thanks for the information behind Doel.

Vermeer had a way of calculating his vanishing points. The painting with the tiled floor was an example where he started his points outside of the frame to get the perspective he wanted for the floor. Fascinating. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZqi_uYqKno&feature=related

Randy
A very interesting video, thanks for this link. I now understand what you've meant with your reference to a Vermeer painting. :)

Cheers,