• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just landed!

Hello everyone!

I'll spare you the convoluted journey that made me discover this place, but I'll say I'm glad I landed here.

Just a short little intro:

I was schooled as an artist at an Academy of Arts (two, in fact) in the Netherlands. Photography was not a major subject but I followed it for two years, treating it purely as 'utilitarian' (handy of I had to take pictures of an exhibition, I thought). But I ended up working in IT, did that for many years, ending up mostly in things related to web development and web (W3C) standards. My schooling as an artist helped there for things like user interface (think layout, usability, typography).

Meanwhile I got addicted to travel, and gradually started to pick up photography again.

A few years ago I added a small digital compact camera as a 'backup' to my analog Canon Eos 5, and a little more than a year and a half ago I switched to completely digital (Panasonic Lumix G1), with my trusted little Fuji Finepix F30 still serving as backup.

About a year ago I decided I should finally 'go professional' with what I was doing. So I'm still fresh there, setting up my online presence. Obviously I started with my digital work (I have loads of images on film that I want to scan, but for now time is short.)

I have an account on RedBubble since late December last year. Feel free to browse around my site there; by now it gives a pretty good impression of the sorts of subjects I like. Comments are welcome.

This week I also started to set up a site on PhotoShelter. I'm not giving a link for that yet, as I'll probably map that to a domain of my own, and it's nowhere near set up yet. Of course I'll announce that here when it's in a usable state. :)

Cheers,
Marjolein

Hello everyone!

I'll spare you the convoluted journey that made me discover this place, but I'll say I'm glad I landed here.

Hallo Marjolein, welkom bij OPF.

As you may have discovered, OPF is a friendly community with participants that have a wide range of interesting photography related passions. If you want, you can post a few images (we love images), and if you seek advise just let us know.

Enjoy, our joint journey accompanied by images that trigger emotions is an ongoing one.

Cheers,
Bart

By popular request... :)

Here's a recent image that has not been posted publicly anywhere yet.

This was shot on the first day of my recent trip to India (with a group). It was my first time in India and I had decided to just 'look around' for a few days to get my 'eyes' and then decide on a theme for (most of) my photographs, to help me focus better. Not that I didn't shoot anything else, but I did shoot a lot of "Walls of South India" - the walls here so leaped out at me that by the end of the first day this theme had already become unavoidable for me. (I had a lot of fun with it, too.)

Lamp on a bright wall

P1150626-psp-fm-st-3900x3066-lyr-hps-2-45-hl-lyr-crv-lyr-hsl.jpg

A close-up of a house in Mamallapuram (Tamil Nadu, India): a perfect example of the bright colors we often see houses and walls painted in in South India. And often something is a little bit messy, or a little bit broken, too, like the lamp on this wall.​

Marjolein Katsma

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Marjolein,

I too like images of walls. Here the yellow, though over saturated, brings to mind the yellow scarf and dress used for Freida Pinto, the girl in Slumdog Millionaire and "Indian Saffron", (actually turmeric) spices.

Asher

Marjolein,

I too like images of walls. Here the yellow, though over saturated, brings to mind the yellow scarf and dress used for Freida Pinto, the girl in Slumdog Millionaire and "Indian Saffron", (actually turmeric) spices.

:) Many walls in South India are over saturated. The colors are often quite improbable (to our eyes, at least)! This was an obviously freshly painted one, as I would come to realize later in my trip.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here's a recent image that has not been posted publicly anywhere yet.

This was shot on the first day of my recent trip to India (with a group). It was my first time in India and I had decided to just 'look around' for a few days to get my 'eyes' and then decide on a theme for (most of) my photographs, to help me focus better. Not that I didn't shoot anything else, but I did shoot a lot of "Walls of South India" - the walls here so leaped out at me that by the end of the first day this theme had already become unavoidable for me. (I had a lot of fun with it, too.)

Lamp on a bright wall

P1150626-psp-fm-st-3900x3066-lyr-hps-2-45-hl-lyr-crv-lyr-hsl.jpg

A close-up of a house in Mamallapuram (Tamil Nadu, India): a perfect example of the bright colors we often see houses and walls painted in in South India. And often something is a little bit messy, or a little bit broken, too, like the lamp on this wall.​

Marjolein Katsma

Have you thought of pairing pictures like this one with portraits showing the same colors on clothes or jewelry?