• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Dali Museum in Figueres

Cem_Usakligil

I just saw the new Woody Allen film; Midnight in Paris. In which, there was also a part for Salvador Dali. So I thought, why not share this picture from his museum/home in Figueres, Catalunya. C&C welcome.

f40418.jpg

fahim mohammed

Cem, I have not seen the movie. But I have visited Salavador's home.

Your image of it does justice to his perception of art.

Regards.

Very cool, Cem. Your photo shows an interesting mix of masonry, glass, and metal (I think) framing. Do you have any more photos of this place?

Incidentally, I have an original copy of Dali's "Hidden Faces". His writing was not unlike his painting.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi guys, thanks for the comments.

@Tom: I have actually shown a couple of this museum here. But I now realize that I have never shown them in their own thread. Perhaps I should repost them here and also add some other pictures later.

PS: This one and the other two were taken during different visits BTW.

Mark Hampton

I just saw the new Woody Allen film; Midnight in Paris. In which, there was also a part for Salvador Dali. So I thought, why not share this picture from his museum/home in Figueres, Catalunya. C&C welcome.

f40418.jpg

Cem,

indulge me please - crop the sky oot from the top - the blur and sharpen edges around the window...#

I ken its against your grain but - dali - never worked sharp ! Try it and have some fun - the work is almost there - you mentalist !

cheers

Cem_Usakligil

Cem,

indulge me please - crop the sky oot from the top - the blur and sharpen edges around the window...#

I ken its against your grain but - dali - never worked sharp ! Try it and have some fun - the work is almost there - you mentalist !

cheers
I am willing to indulge but I have no clue as to how to do it, lol.

Mark Hampton

be my guest :)

Cem,

thanks for allowing me to play on this - the original image is cracking - up to your normal standard of processing / finishing and vision.

when you mentioned Dali - i remembered the st john on the cross - was in Glasgow for some time - i saw it a few times and always liked it...

so here is (sorry about the colour) where I went... Hope it's not to annoying... it was fun mucking around with someones work !!

cEM.jpg

Cems work edited by Me

cheers

Cem_Usakligil

Cem,

thanks for allowing me to play on this - the original image is cracking - up to your normal standard of processing / finishing and vision.

when you mentioned Dali - i remembered the st john on the cross - was in Glasgow for some time - i saw it a few times and always liked it...

so here is (sorry about the colour) where I went... Hope it's not to annoying... it was fun mucking around with someones work !!

cEM.jpg

Cems work edited by Me

cheers

I actually quite like it Mark. I am hoping to hear from others how they see this version

Mark's version is an interesting variation and is a good illustration of how a minor crop can alter an image. I can't say which is better, but to my eye, Cem's original with the little extra real estate at the top and bottom seems to be more complete somehow. This may only be because I saw the original first, however.

Mark Hampton

Mark's version is an interesting variation and is a good illustration of how a minor crop can alter an image. I can't say which is better, but to my eye, Cem's original with the little extra real estate at the top and bottom seems to be more complete somehow. This may only be because I saw the original first, however.

Tom thanks for your thoughts. To me both seem to work as well.

Cem_Usakligil

Agreed Tom, a difficult choice. Since this is my own creation, I cannot be impartial. However, I like Mark's version too.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I actually quite like it Mark. I am hoping to hear from others how they see this version

Hi Cem,

Yes, this is an interesting challenge. It's a case where, when we rewind the movie of having taken a journey and invested time in a particular shoot, we sometimes wish for even more real estate than we brought home. With modern fine bright monitors, it's much easier to make crops in seconds and we should take advantage of that by getting extra coverage. After all, we might not get back to the Dali Museum in Figueres for some time. Perhaps, just perhaps, you heard some annoying voice telling you to compose wide in every direction. Let's try this tack. :)

So Mark imagined this anew and his framing is interesting because of an underlying essential anatomy of the building. There are several major compositions within your wonderful picture and they compete for our attention. Mark ditched the top one to allow attention to the regal alternative of what appears to be a figure in the center of a globe or even a universe.

However, one can still include the "figure" in the top version by discarding the lower part of the picture. I'm sure there are other riches to mine, but these two sections are perhaps the most significant.

Asher

Jerome Marot

I remember from a visit over 20 years ago that there are one or two old american cars in the museum. The cars are used as a basis for sculptures, this is one of them. The driver is a statue.

I do not remember the women reflections but I would think that they were intended by Salvator Dali.

As a photographer, I wonder how you managed not to be on the picture...