• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photoshop Settinfs??

After I work on an image in Photoshop,I get the following message:
"The document has an embedded profile that does not match the current RGB working space"
Embedded: Adobe RGB
Working: SRGB
Then I get 3 options-
1.Use the embedded profile{which has a check mark in the circle}
2.Convert the document colors to the working space
3. Discard the embedded profile{don't color manage}

Which one should I use???
Any help would be appreciated,
Mike

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Michael
have you worked your file on the same computer?
or change your PS color pref in the meantime?

What the message from PS means:
you're trying to open a file saved within Adobe RGB profile in a working color space environment defined as sRGB.
(FYI ARGB is a larger space than sRGB, the latter being used for the web)

So your answer could be:
- don't change the original color environement - 1.Use the embedded profile
therefore you preserve the richness of your file.

- I want to use sRGB as my file is destinated for the web or to be sent to some people that asked specifically for sRGB - 2.Convert the document colors to the working space

- I wouldn't do 3. Discard the embedded profile{don't color manage}

Now you can also specify your PS color prefs to use Adobe RGB as the working color space... and convert to sRGB only when needed.
It is a bad idea to go back and forth between color spaces...
The best is to work always in the larger color space (Adobe RGB, Prophoto) and convert to sRGB or to a cmyk space when needed only, always keeping the ARGB as the original TIF file.

Hope it helps!

color space/photoshop

Claris...Thanks for your reply.
I have been using 1 computer,with these files,however 3 other people also use this machine and it is possible that the color settings might have been changed.I reset the photoshop setting to the default settings just so I know where I'm starting from.
I am an amatuer photographer & my goal is to try to get my prints to match the monitor.
I have calibrated the monitor{NEC 20WMGX2}-my prints are very very close, to what I'm seeing on the monitor .
I will take your advise and use the Argb settings.
Any other advise/suggestions would be appreciated>
Mike

Ray West

Hi Michael,

a couple of points, be aware of the illumination in the room where you use the monitor, and the illumination of where you view the print. I'm assuming you have also profiled the printer with its ink and the paper you use.

If you are on a PC, for value for money, get 'quimage' and 'profile prism', from ddisoftware. com. Mike's description on colour management is one of the best around.

Best wishes,

Ray

color management??

No,as of now,I have not profiled my printer/paper combination.
I do my editing in a very subdued lighting enviroment..the same as I used when I did the monitor calibration.
Can you tell me which "Mike's" you are referring to about color management...or post a link??
Also,Can't seem to post the image I'm working on..Wanted to get some input???What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again for the help
Mike

Ray West

Hi Michael,

You have to host your image elsewhere on the web, and link to it. (using the
insertimage.gif
icon in the reply box)

Mike Chaney he who is ddisoftware.com. Either put in the http/wwwwww thing in front, or google for it.

You will never get the print to exactly match the monitor anyway, but if it is all not profiled you will be relying on luck. (profile your camera too, if you wish).

You will get a headache if you ask folk what to do. Read Mikes stuff, then as Nicolas says, work on the editing in prophoto colour space. Its a question of getting the camera, monitor, printer, to be able to cover the area that the eye can see, putting it very very simply. You will see wonderful coloured graphs and shapes, when you get into this - hurts your eyes ;-)

Best wishes,

Ray

ps - now look what you forced me to do http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23773#post23773

;-)

Last edited:
color management??

Michael...
I went to the Qimage website and downloaded a trial version of there printing software,it is outstanding ,my prints have taken on a completely new look.....also,as per your suggestion ,I've started to read some of the articles that Michael has written..this will take some time though,I have much to learn.
Question,,,,,,,,I've been using Inkjet Art Micro Ceramic Luster paper for about 2 years now...can you recommend a better quality Luster paper that I should use?many years ago when I was using film,I used Ilford Galerie,I very rarely make a prints bigger then 8&1/2-11...
Again,thanks to all, for your advise/help....
Mike

Ray West

Hi Mike,

Ilford do a Galerie for inkjets. I and many other folk like the smooth pearl version. Afaik they do others.

Best wishes,

Ray