• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Zooooom

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Klaus,

I really like your work; an interesting subject. Can those bicycles actual work. Chain seems rusty!

I was surprised to see the bird house. Does one get in to clean it?

The blue color of the bicycle luggage carrying stand seems posterized. Is that my Powerbook Pro screen or is there something off about it.

How many shots were stitched?

Asher

Asher Kelman

I'd be interested in knowing how we can use zoomify and Quicktime VR in these posts. Anyone know?

Asher

KrisCarnmarker

Hi Klaus, I like that picture!

Can you go into a bit more detail about how you shot all these images? 40 shots is quite a lot and must take some time, so how do you avoid the shadows blurring, for instance? How many exp. for each "tile"?

Asher, I think it would be very useful for a forum like this to be able to show Zoomify based images inline. I know that the Zoomify Flash player can be reused, so that file could be hosted on OPF, and the forum software extended with a new tag which allows the poster to link to a directory on another server (assuming Flash allows that). A problem that could maybe arise is Zoomify version conflicts.

John_Nevill

Asher,

There's probably an embedded flash plugin for forum that will enable flash files to be added to posts similar to the way images are. The only thing that may concern is security, you probably won't have much control over what people deposit as flash content, so it would need some vigilant moderation.

Asher Kelman

Asher,

There's probably an embedded flash plugin for forum that will enable flash files to be added to posts similar to the way images are. The only thing that may concern is security, you probably won't have much control over what people deposit as flash content, so it would need some vigilant moderation.
John, are you worried that people might post offensive images? They can do that right now and we could delete them. We have not had to do that except from a spammer.

I know that allowing plain HTML does open security issues. I have put this to Sean DeMerchant who maintains our vBulletin software and Nicolas Claris who set it up with Michael Tapes.

Any insights are apprecaited!

Asher, I think it would be very useful for a forum like this to be able to show Zoomify based images inline. I know that the Zoomify Flash player can be reused, so that file could be hosted on OPF, and the forum software extended with a new tag which allows the poster to link to a directory on another server (assuming Flash allows that). A problem that could maybe arise is Zoomify version conflicts.

Yes, Kris, this is where we want to go. We are concerned with security, (ie hackers, malicious or otherwise) and bandwidth. I do not imagine that the bandwidth would be greater than with a jpg. Or am I wrong? The image is loaded from another server. Of course if each image is used in the quote then we might then have pages loading slowly for some of us.

We could have a a page of download links for common file viewers for PC and Mac.

So any ideas would be helpful.

Karl,

Thanks for hte iamge on Capetown. It is just short of looking through people's windows. LOL!

I do like the fact that one can find spots of natural landscape with rocks, bushes and rough dirt paths in the lower right.

Re your original Zoomify images, I guess that 40 shots needed were becasue you bracketed for HDR.

Did you have the camera on AUTO exposure or did you use a fixed setting. IOW, if one is working in changing light, does the Photomatix plugin give one images that will match in luminence values if one is in auto?

I want to use M fixed exposure settings in stitched pics but for large images in fading light, this can cause the later pics to be much underexposed especially at sunset when light is changing rapidly.

Also could you address the color blue of the luggage rack on the bike. It is posterized and odd. It seems that with HDR, one should end up with good color as well as tonalitiy.

So is that blue real or an artifact?

Thanks Karl for introducing this subject. We need to be able to embed these important images in OPF and any help in this will be appreciated.

Asher

John_Nevill

John, are you worried that people might post offensive images? They can do that right now and we could delete them. We have not had to do that except from a spammer.

I know that allowing plain HTML does open security issues.

Asher, I was probably thinking aloud here, flash content is streamed so one would have watch the entire stream, unlike an image. But you're right it can be easily removed.

Embedding flash won't effect OPF bandwidth as I doubt whether OPF will be hosting the files.
I did a quick check on the vb forums and there is plugin that works with bbcode, its easy to install and provides a button within the post's bbcode markup, just like adding an image or url.