• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

laptop as a DTR

Since the new chips in the MAcBook pro have become so powerful and you can have lots of ram added, I am considering using one to rplace my old Desktop. I am polling others who have made such a move whether they are happy having done so. I would attach my laptop to a Apple monitor that can be calibrated via the DVI output for critical color work.

IS there enough power to work on Photos, enlarge to 20x30 sizes, and print them from such a setup?

Comments and recommendations would be appreciated.

MDIJB

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I guess you better have external disks or get the option of the 7200 RPM serial ATA disk...
You also won't be able to have a new videocard compatible with HD video AFAIK...

Paul Bestwick

pro member
3 gig max ram is not enough & no opportunity to run 2 internal dives means no dedicated scratch disc.
Too slow for working with lots of big files. Give it 2 more years & I reckon it will be a different story.
I have been contemplating upgrading my G4 PB but won't at the moment based on what I have said above.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Post script:

Apple have just announced their latest PB. 4 gig of ram. I reckon that this one will fly.
I am currently running a G5 powermac (dual core) with 4 gig or ram. Does anyone have an idea of the performance difference between my setup & the new PB. i need to upgrade my old G4 PB & my idea has been to wait until the perfomance at least matched my powermac.

Cheers,

PB

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Paul
I'm ready to bet that your very old G5 powermac (dual core) will soon have some rest as a back-up server ;-)
or retire as a slideshow machine in your gallery ;;-)

or may be both!

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Hi nicolas,

interesting.......exciting in fact. The rate at which the technology is advancing is fantastic for us photographers. We get to use the latest & greatest which would have been the stuff of dreams once & then we get to do it again & again !!!!
I think around January I may get a new PB. Though I guess that may coincide with the 1DSMKlll. Expensive year coming up. Today I bought a second 20 inch apple studio display. Back to 2 screens at last. How does anyone work with one ..........egad.
Cheers,

Paul

Office.jpg