• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Yet more scanned Velvia slides

Cem_Usakligil

Based on Asher's request in this thread to see some more "film"on OPF, here a a couple of scanned Velvia slides of mine. Taken using an ESO3, 24-105mm and Velvia 100 (not the F version). The workflow is also explained in the above linked thread.

Hope you'll like them. All C&C is welcome.

img_27881_0_161239141-O.jpg

img_27881_1_161238390-O.jpg

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Here is another one. These Dutch guys are members of a re-enactment group for Canadian Regiments that fought in the WW2 to free Bergen op Zoom. Picture taken on the Queen's Birthday 2007 (30th of Arpil). Same equipment and workflow, as mentioned above.

img_27884_0_161255527-O.jpg

Cheers,

Ray West

Hi Cem,

I think you may need to play with the hue/saturation settings. I found increasing hue, decreasing saturation (and lightness) in ps, gives a nicerer result for the last one, maybe the same required for the first. Settings of about +26, - 36, - 24 seem OK. The second sort of looks OK as is. But then, it maybe you want the velvia look.

Best wishes,

Ray

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Ray,

Thanks for taking your time looking at the images.
As you've guessed, I have a tad more satuaration than needed due to the Velvia look.
Especially, the tree was photographed in the evening with the sun low on the horizon. The various hues you are seeing were really there. I have enhanced the foreground a bit to highlight the lavender coloured plants and the grass. I guess it is my artistic freedom to do so. <smile>

Having said that, I have tried the suggested adjustments in PS, and the results look horrible to me!? I end up with some dark, colourless, strange hued pictures. Are you sure your monitor is properly calibrated? Mine is calibrated recently using a Spyder 2. To be on the safe side, I've checked the images using other PCs around the house and they all seem fine to me (except for the already mentioned increase in saturation).

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

For example, this is how the 3rd image looks like after adjusting the hue +26, saturation - 36 and lightness - 24 :

img_27888_0_161269882-M.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

I have made some adjustments to the saturation and the hue of the images in order to make them more "realistic", less Velvia that is. Workflow: convert to lab, change L, a and b using curves, change back to RGB. Are these versions better, do you reckon?

img_27890_0_161272443-M.jpg

img_27890_1_161272449-M.jpg

img_27890_2_161272456-L.jpg

Cheers,

It IS nice to look at some film images again! What a blast from the past!

I like the originals of the first two better.

The skin tones in the picture of the group seem slightly "blown" to me. Not sure if thats the slide or the scan!?

Cem_Usakligil

...The skin tones in the picture of the group seem slightly "blown" to me. Not sure if thats the slide or the scan!?
Both! It was high noon with a strong sunshine and a lot of contrast when I took the picture of the soldiers. That might explain things a bit (i.e. the exposure problem). I'll do a rescan sometime later and see if I can improve things.

Cheers,

Ray West

Hi Cem,

I opened it in photoshop. I usually work in 16 bit colourspace - but this wasn't, it looked awful cf the browser appearance. It's the question of the skin tone and khaki. But, whatever works for you. One daft idea - yet another ;-) - literally reverse engineer a velvia action plugin, get that 'digital look'.

Best wishes,

Ray