• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Dead Pseudo-Links

How do you feel about having pseudo links for articles up before they are released?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why are there dead links on the homepage? i.e.,

Under the Editorial section:

pce_rouge.gif
Fast Yachts at Sea
pce_rouge.gif
Consent for Photos

Under the Articles section:

pce_rouge.gif
EF 50mm 2.5 Macro some thoughts

While I think having articles there is a good thing, I am unsure of the image that the dead pseudo-links project. Is the goal to show that things are in process? This may be okay for a brand new site, but continuing this may project a negative image showing unfinished work to be the norm.

just curious,

Sean

Don Lashier

Hi Sean,

If you didn't notice, this has already been raised and answered a couple threads down in "site oddities" (they'll be going away or labeled "coming soon").

- DL

Jan Luursema

Well it's cool to see what is "upcoming", but it's annoying not to be able to click the link, so it might be better to mark them as "upcoming" or move them to another section which states what is upcoming.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Sorry guys, we've been caught by time and succes of OPF...
We are working on that at this moment with Asher which is currently in Bordeaux...

Don't be too rude with us, we do what we can between photo shoots...

Thanks in advance!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Sean,

Your post are exceptionally helpful. Here perhaps you missed http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339&highlight=links where this topic was raised and answered.

Still, while we are here, could you guys look at the post on Ruth Knoll's excellent conference for Photoshop CS2 coming up June 23/24 2006. http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320 This is an amazingly inexpensive opportunity to get instruction from some of the top stars in Adobe's line-up of teachers. I would like some discussion of this would help bring attention to this ourse and the charity that it supports.

Also please check out the new Exhibitions page which will be updated regularly. http://www.openphotographyforums.com/expo.php
This deals with some of the actual end product of photgraphy: the final print which can show in a gallery.

Asher

Hi Asher and Nicolas,

My apologies. I hope my post was not taken as rude (well, except the self directed "what fool wrote this poll and failed to give an obvious choice for me answer" which was meant to say I could not answer it all and to blame me if the choices suck;o). Heck, I started it and chose undecided. But that is also why I was asking.

An elipsis ... coming soon! would work great.
Asher Kelman said:
Hi Sean,

Your posts are exceptionally helpful.
Thank you. :eek:) I aim for being constructive (not agreeable, but logical and giving constructive reasons for disagreement) in what I say. And one should always feel free to disagree with me as I am a mathematician by training and arguing (logical discourse) is second nature to my rhetoric. i.e., it may sound like disagreeing is impossible or illogical from what I say, but a logical disagreement can shift me from a pundit of the opposite to a follower if it makes sense.

I can say this because after years of studying math, the only thing I can say for certain about mathematicians is that they are no better at arithmetic (adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing) than general populace. Often they are faster (but no always), but that often means they get more right answers per hour. The corralary to this is that most mathematicians make more arithmetical errors per hour than others too (i.e., they may get faster, but they rarely get more accurate).
Asher Kelman said:
Here perhaps you missed http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339&highlight=links where this topic was raised and answered.
Yes, I did miss that post (I had not read this topic/forum until I had already posted this poll. And that did answer my question. :eek:)

And truth be told, I only added the poll because I could. Kind of like why people climb mountains: because they can. Albeit, I would rather hike for 4 hours to a good view and not have to learn to use and carry climbing gear as carrying photo gear, tripod, cold weather gear (crossing snowfields after dark is chilly), and light (at least 3 sources plus spare batteries or a zero degree F sleeping bag and bivy sack) to make the 4 hour hike out in the dark possible. This is not to say I would not like to take a course in ice climbing focussed on photography. Typical ice climbing courses I have heard about teach crevasse rescue, photographic ones drop you down a crevasse and then have you start shooting which is on my list of skills to learn (albeit, a decent wide angle lense, carbon fiber tripod, quality telephoto zoom for landscapes, and a nice tripod head top the list as they can improve my shots close to home).

Albeit, I do 99% of my shooting within 25 miles of home. But I live in the country so finding semi-pristine woods (second growth forest that is 70+ years old
Asher Kelman said:
Still, while we are here, could you guys look at the post on Ruth Knoll's excellent conference for Photoshop CS2 coming up June 23/24 2006. http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320 This is an amazingly inexpensive opportunity to get instruction from some of the top stars in Adobe's line-up of teachers. I would like some discussion of this would help bring attention to this course and the charity that it supports.

Also please check out the new Exhibitions page which will be updated regularly.
This deals with some of the actual end product of photgraphy: the final print which can show in a gallery.

Asher

I will give them both a good look after I sleep as it is late out west here. The conference looks interesting and inexpensive. If I still worked in Chicago I would take the day off. Sadly, I am a couple thousand miles west of there now and that kind of travel budget (short term ticket cost) would pay for a trip to dozens of photo sites I want to spend time at (albeit, in 6-8 weaks when some of the snow clears).

all the best,

Sean

Don Lashier

> the only thing I can say for certain about mathematicians is that they are no better at arithmetic (adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing) than general populace.

Hey! Being a mathematician, I resemble that remark ;)

> This is not to say I would not like to take a course in ice climbing focussed on photography.

Let me tell you, that last concern when ice climbing is photography.

> drop you down a crevasse and then have you start shooting

Well, when my friend drops down a crevasse I start shooting :)

- DL

Don Lashier

> Was anyone hurt?

As the captions says, he was fooling around and climbed down in the crevasse. It was late summer, everything was exposed, and we weren't even roped up yet.

> Also what camera did you choose?

Back in those days I shot with a Leica IIIA rangefinder. Also carried a Rollei TLR for b/w but not usually on climbs although occasionally.

Whoops, just realized that b/w was with the Leica, here's a mountain Rollei shot

- DL

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Don,

You look like a movie star play some partisan in the French Resistance in WWII.

I'm not an expert on men, but the guy seems good looking!

Asher

Don Lashier

Hi Asher,

> You look like a movie star play some partisan in the French Resistance in WWII.

I was in my "french" period at the time, wore a beret and black wool toggle trenchcoat with hood. After all my name is "laShier" and I trace ancestry back to Jean laFitte, the gentleman pirate" (who helped the Americans against the "bastard" Brits in the Battle of New Orleans) ;)

But talk about difficulties with a self-portrait - I usually just hand the camera to whoever's near. Here's another one - just handed the Rollei (preset for everything) to a random tourist.

- DL

Last edited:

Alain Briot

pro member
Don Lashier said:
I was in my "french" period at the time, wore a beret and black wool toggle trenchcoat. After all my name is "la Shier" and I trace ancestry back to Jean la Fitte, the pirate (who helped the Americans Revolt against the "bastard" Brits) ;)

You forgot the baguette under your right arm and bottle of Prefontaine in your left hand while riding your bicycle in the countryside ;-)