• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

30D and 50mm 1.8 back focus

I was shooting basketball again this past weekend. My 50mm 1.8 seemed to light up red (center point focus) but the pictures are blurry. Here is an example: The focus point is clearly on the yellow shirt.

BBallbf.jpg

Post Processing

BBallbfpp.jpg

Is the 50mm not fast enough to keep up with the AI servo focus? Would a 85mm 1.8 resolve the focus issue?

Have a great Holiday.

Warren

Deborah Kolt

Speed of 50mm

I can't speak to the speed of the 50, but to me the focus looks like it's on number 7, behind her. May have just grabbed the higher contrast subject.

Having said that, you won't regret the 85 1.8 if you decide to go for it!

Jerry Sigua

I tend to agree that the AF on the 50 is not as good as the 85. I find that the 50 hunts a lot, that is why I use my 85 when shooting basketball.

Another suggestion is to shoot in manual mode instead of AV so that you have a constant ss and when using the 85, try it a f/2.0 instead of f/1.8.

Erik DeBill

I've not tried the 50/1.8 on action shots, but it does seem to focus more slowly than USM equipped lenses.

Could that be the problem?