• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

And so it begins (FP softball-2007)

Jeff Mims

The team was rusty, but eeked out a win. The photographer was even worse, but managed a couple of decent, but not outstanding shots. I think these would look better, properly resized, if someone could tell me how.
I also felt the 300 was too long for FP softball, since I was on the field. I missed two outstanding plays because of bad positioning and two long a lens. One was a critical play..my daughter (catcher) tagged out a runner at home plate. Critical, because our team won the game...1-0.
I think I'll take the 70-200 next time.

83280527.jpg

83280528.jpg

83280529.jpg

Jeff Mims

revised/resized Softball photos

I tried to edit my last post, but didn't see an edit option. I was disappointed overall, in my photos...though it was the first FP softball game of the season. Guess I was even rustier than the team. I'm also learning post processing, at which I am very much a novice!
Here are some revised (and one additonal shot)

83300031.jpg

83300030.jpg

83300029.jpg

Last edited:

Nill Toulme

Sorry to be late Jeff, I've been on the road a lot. I think these shots look great, especially the catcher's expression in the third one.

I know what you mean about being rusty. Every time I gear up in the fall, or even switch sports between seasons, I think I must feel about like the players do coming out onto the field again for the first time. Reflexes are off, timing is off, back hurts, light hurts my eyes, it's too hot or too cold. But then it starts to fall into place again... ;-)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Marian Howell

i empathize with your quandry about the 300/70-200 :) this is when i contemplate keeping 2 bodies at hand, each armed with lens. the 70-200 is good for action shots, but the 300, well, that 3rd shot of the catcher is great!! tough choice.

Nill Toulme

The 70-200 should work well on a 1.6x crop body when you're actually on the field. For little league this is where I would break out my old 100-400 on the 1.25x crop body.

We Canon users can continue to wish for a match for Nikon's 200-400 f/4. Another alternative in the meantime is the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jeff,

I love your pictures in that you show sensitive players which gives your work a stamp of your own style. You are showing vulnerable moments in the athletes performance. That's requires that you are noticing. The fact that you have issues with your lens is no problem since you know exactly what you must do.

The dust storm at the feet of the second picture is a great feature. It's a pity her head wasn't turned. The third image showing a woman beneath herself as the athlete, is impressive and will work well, printed in either color or B&W.

If Nill likes your work, you pat yourself on the back!

Asher

BTW, If you need to edit and it's beyond the time allowed, then just ask Nicolas Claris or myself to do it for you! We put a limit, I believe of 24 hrs, to prevent changed earlier posts from removing the thread.

Jeff Mims

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Asher, I agree with you about about Nill..a compliment from him is high praise indeed.

Sorry I've not been around here much. I'll try to post some more later.

Post processing is my real weakness, but something the can be overcome with time/training.