• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Essaouira

fahim mohammed

p774128531-4.jpg

fahim mohammed

Charlotte, thanks for the kind words.

Essouira is a small laid back fishing town south of Casablanca in Morocco.

A lovely place to wind down. It is known as the windy city. Right in your face blows the wind.

A surfer's paradise..dangerous surfs. A few clicks down is kilometers of unspoiled beach.

Best regards.

fahim mohammed

It is an Artist's town. In the 70s many artists/ musicians/singers from the States and Europe

visited and lived here.

One finds displays of local works around town. Walls of the fort, the sea, the port, the fishermen

and the fishing vessels provide for an endless subject matter.

p735073082.jpg

fahim mohammed

A short itinerary

Get up in the morning to the sound of crashing waves below you. And the screech of seagulls

above...

p299928185.jpg

have a lazy breakfast overlooking the sea as the sun climbs. Then head off through the old town

and its alleyways spiced with art..

Take your time. Loose yourself. It is safe; very very safe. And each turn is a joy and a surprise..

p423920747.jpg

Have tea or coffee on the sidewalks. Watch the world go by. You are in Essouira.

Head towards the old fort. Take a meandering walk through the spice market. The Berber

specialities shall tempt you into the shops. Talk, bargain, feel the pulse of Morocco and its

friendly people. Hang loose. Make way for the push carts. Grab a sd/cf card, tjoin a cooking class

for half an hour. Climb up the fort walls. Looking around at the maze of artisans and their works

on display.

Why not sit atop an old canon and see what the soldiers of the past must have seen..

p231937203.jpg

Become a part of the scene..not just an observer. You are bound to wander the alleyways again!!

fahim mohammed

A small Itinerary II

From the fort, lets walk towards the Port. Once again meandering through the Old Town of Magodor..as it

was known in Portugese.

The Old Town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site..rightfully so.

p1068130420.jpg

One can look up in that storehouse of information ' WiKi ' for all the films that were made on Location

in Essaouira. I shall mention the most famous one..' Othello '. An iconic scene from the film and indeed of

Essaouira below ( taken in harsh light )..

p706462527.jpg

Enter the small working Port...

p983624184.jpg

Mix with the fishermen and see crafts handed down to them through generations..

p505497408.jpg

I saw a tourist couple..chic dressers..put a handkerchief to their noses. The camera came up..1-2-3

quick photos and they trotted off, hurrying not to dirty their clothes, shoes, or their sense of smell.

I wonder if they saw Essaouira!!

Charlotte Thompson

Fahim

O how gorgeous is this place- love it to the MAX! Thank you for your wonderful tour- Such beauty and old world quaintness- right up my alley for sure- That water is such a deep blue, midnight blue!!- the boats- the arts- everything is full of romance and life! Just unbelieveable!! Your photography is awesome- You did such a great job-

Charlotte-

fahim mohammed

Charlotte, Cem...

I am embarrassed ( and a bit flattered..blush ). If you could get even a little a feeling for Essaouira through

these images, then it truly was worth it for me.

Thank you and warmest regards.

fahim mohammed

The essence of the place was its simplicity and understated elegance. Of its people and of the their town.

I shall leave Essaouira, for the moment at least, with two images. Nothing special, but they define

to me the soul of this place..simple images from nowhere and everywhere here.

p444785781.jpg

p200411616.jpg

Thank you.

Charlotte Thompson

Fahim

O I got the feeling!!! you shouldn't blush for such a creative work-you put yourself in these photos and you should feel fantastic about them-
I am a big fan.....now don't you blush!

Charlotte-