Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > UV/IR Thermal or Xray Photography

UV/IR Thermal or Xray Photography Humans happen to use visible light naturally but now we can go beyond the usual wavelengths we appreciate, to find out more about our world and ourselves.

Old April 10th, 2018, 11:52 AM

Default Dandelion Spring 2018 multispectral

Today about a common spring flower a Dandelion - Taraxacum officinale in reflected ultraviolet photography and simulated butterfly and bee vision. Lens was a UV Nikkor 105mm quartz fluorite lens.

Visible light image:

UV image:

Simulated bee vision:

Simulated butterfly vision:

Quadriptych of human vision, UV, and simulated butterfly and bee vision (left to right, top to bottom:

This Dandelion flower has quite a prominent UV pattern, its petals are UV bright around 365nm, its center is UV dark, especially the anthers, and this gets quite nicely visible also in simulated bee and butterfly vision.
Old April 10th, 2018, 04:41 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Klaus,

Your work always gets me thinking about the investment the plant makes in this decoration!

The UV has the most drama. I wonder if we know anything about the different investments and payoffs by going with one color and not another. The color might even be incidental. For example, if the petals are spiced with some some chemical which fights destructive insects, perhaps the pretty colors we see are just the waste products of the synthetic pathway!

Thecreasons girls might wear seductive clothes is merely because they are comfortable and fashionable, not because they arouse our passions!

I donít believe it, but it could be so!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old April 10th, 2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Klaus,

Your work always gets me thinking about the investment the plant makes in this decoration!

The UV has the most drama. I wonder if we know anything about the different investments and payoffs by going with one color and not another. The color might even be incidental. For example, if the petals are spiced with some some chemical which fights destructive insects, perhaps the pretty colors we see are just the waste products of the synthetic pathway!

Thecreasons girls might wear seductive clothes is merely because they are comfortable and fashionable, not because they arouse our passions!

I donít believe it, but it could be so!

Asher
Good questions, I wish I had the answers to that! Biologists since many decades are working on that,
but still a lot is lacking that we don't know - yet.
Old April 12th, 2018, 03:13 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

If we knew everything, life would be boring and weíd have no jobs as scientists!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old April 15th, 2018, 11:52 PM

Dr.Schmitt,
A naive question: since it is illuminated with UV, am I right in assuming that the second picture (UV image) is the fluorescent pattern of the petals as recorded on a visible-light sensitive sensor?

These pictures, besides being a real treat to humans like me, are also very intriguing to think that nature evolves its colour schemes with definite aims. Thank you for sharing such beautiful images.
Old April 21st, 2018, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald Johnson View Post
Dr.Schmitt,
A naive question: since it is illuminated with UV, am I right in assuming that the second picture (UV image) is the fluorescent pattern of the petals as recorded on a visible-light sensitive sensor?

These pictures, besides being a real treat to humans like me, are also very intriguing to think that nature evolves its colour schemes with definite aims. Thank you for sharing such beautiful images.
Thank you, glad you like my work!

No, fluorescent UV imaging is inducing visible light be using UV as a stimulus. My work is REFLECTED UV, i.e. invisible UV light is being photographed (2nd image) using a modified camera but the colors you see are false colors (like NASA uses for their imaging). The simulated Bee and butterfly imaging uses UV + visible light, but also is partly false color imaging, as colors are mapped into our (limited) human color range.