• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: November outing

Jarmo Juntunen

I have been taking it easy for some time. Probably has to do with the darkening and wet days we get up here. We did get out with the kids, however, some time ago.

_img900.jpg

Which way did the sun go?

_smaller.jpg

Lots of green and gray tones to choose from

_smaller.jpg

Antonio Correia

Very lovely picture, the first one. :)

It reminds me my 3 years grandson we have been with a couple of days ago in the snow and in... California !
But yes... the Sun was shining.

Long lens I presume... :)

Jarmo Juntunen

Very lovely picture, the first one. :)

It reminds me my 3 years grandson we have been with a couple of days ago in the snow and in... California !
But yes... the Sun was shining.

Long lens I presume... :)

Thanks Antonio! That sounds like a lot of fun. And yes, you're right of course. The lense was my favourite work horse, Sigma 2.8 70-200.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have been taking it easy for some time. Probably has to do with the darkening and wet days we get up here. We did get out with the kids, however, some time ago.

_img900.jpg

Which way did the sun go?

Bravo, Jarmo, this is a special gift for us all!

One would be mistaken to think that this is merely a memento of happy family times. I find the picture to have much more gravitas than that. It is, to my mind an excellent photograph worth preserving and collecting. It transcends the preciousness of personal nostalgia to be probative of the path the next generation will travel when they take our place. I's a beautiful balance of trees huddled in the background, shrouded in mist and the clear sparkle of life of a young child with her own life an unblemished record, yet to be written, as she stops for us on the well-trodden, snow covered, path through this bucolic landscape. Marks, of many previous travelers, provide a "texture" that symbolize to me "the community", before and after her, of which she must be part.

Of course, Jarmo, this is my favorite. Just like Antonio, I think of my grandkids when I see this picture. I also like it as one has a lone child in an apparently large unspoiled area. The photograph is itself interesting, as you have included for the child a path. That immediately evokes a concept of "a life's journey". I note that she does not obstruct the path for others, but stands to one side, as if to be a modest part of the entire scene. What you might have done, by taking her to this place, is to plant seeds of a lasting, loving gift of seeing the wisdom in cherishing and championing such scenery!

The compelling idea -

- "Kids should be exposed to the parts of the land not covered with asphalt and concrete"-

is clearly to the forefront of my mind and I'm so happy for this.

Each child, so exposed, might, one day, add their own voice in defense of preserving some of nature's wild state. Thanks for sharing this personal but still evocative image. :)

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Asher, thank you for your kind words! Yes, I agree, every child should be provided the opportunity to walk freely in a forest. I've been taking my kids with my walks before they could even walk. I hope that one day they will grow up to nature respecting adults who will find inspiration and strength in nature.