• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: 70 Gigapixel Panorama (new record)

Chad Winker

Perhaps this is the wrong section? I figure it is more news and the panorama section is more for 'personal' art, where as this is more 'news'. (Please move it if I am wrong, also, this news is over a week old, so if it is already here, please just delete the topic)

Anyway, this new 70 billion pixel image of budapest just replaced the previous world record of 45 gigapixel image of Dubai as the worlds largest image.

You can check out the image here (Remember to zoom and move left to right and such, key things are in boxes at the bottom of the image you can click to zoom in on, like the hot air balloon or the jumping workers.)
http://70gigapixel.cloudapp.net/

The cameras used were two Sony A900's, 400mm Minolta lenses and 1.4X teleconverters, as well as robotic camera mounts. (Ended up over 200gb file size lol)

Just thought I would pass it along, I am sure you can dig up some more information with a bit of digging.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Anyway, this new 70 billion pixel image of budapest just replaced the previous world record of 45 gigapixel image of Dubai as the worlds largest image.

This is the feat of Autopano Giga from Kolor, a French company run by wonderful people. One of the principals was in my home a year ago and I am so impressed with him and his company. Look here for more info on autopano Giga!

The fact that APG could stitch a 200 GB file is amazing! That was 2 days of computer processing! It had to be cut in sections to play with it in Photoshop!

Asher

Alain Briot

pro member
Very cool. This comes after they did one of Paris, Harlem and Yosemite (all accessible from the front page of their site).

They certainly have their work cut out for them as there is no shortage of exciting places to photograph in high resolution. The most challenging part is deciding which location will be next I would imagine!

Anyone with a wall big enough to display one of these out there?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Very cool. This comes after they did one of Paris, Harlem and Yosemite (all accessible from the front page of their site).

They certainly have their work cut out for them as there is no shortage of exciting places to photograph in high resolution. The most challenging part is deciding which location will be next I would imagine!

Anyone with a wall big enough to display one of these out there?

Lionel, at Kolor.com is a wonderful guy with a vision to make panos work even if the pictures are handheld and somewhat screwed up. The nice thing is that he also has special plugins for the most popular automatic pano tripod heads too.

With the use of collaborating software, aleady built into auto pano tour, one can go from one 3D world to another.

Asher