• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Helpful Hints/D.I.Y.: Masking tutorial

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Thanks for posting this, Clayton. To be sure, there's good info in there. But you must have the patience and tolerance of sitting through the typical over-caffeinated aging 30-something hipster-with-new-baby style that's become the dial tone of everything Kelby. (The presenter here spends the first 5+ minutes just plain yapping about himself and what he's going to do...no kidding.)

For those who prefer a quieter, more direct, and ever richer gold mine of tricks along these lines may I recommend Scott Kelby's Photoshop Channels Book. It's genuinely unique and features some terrific techniques. While I would have to be sedated to tolerate Kelby's Photoshop Empire in-person I very much like his style of print instruction; it's a problem-oriented outside-in approach versus the encyclopedic style of other authors.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks for posting this, Clayton. To be sure, there's good info in there. But you must have the patience and tolerance of sitting through the typical over-caffeinated aging 30-something hipster-with-new-baby style that's become the dial tone of everything Kelby. (The presenter here spends the first 5+ minutes just plain yapping about himself and what he's going to do...no kidding.)

For those who prefer a quieter, more direct, and ever richer gold mine of tricks along these lines may I recommend Scott Kelby's Photoshop Channels Book. It's genuinely unique and features some terrific techniques. While I would have to be sedated to tolerate Kelby's Photoshop Empire in-person I very much like his style of print instruction; it's a problem-oriented outside-in approach versus the encyclopedic style of other authors.
Ken,

I see from a search he does reference Lab channels 29 times! Did you enjoy this venture into Dan Margolis territory or is it too limited? He also seems to deal with the important topic of color in composites. I'll have to get this book!

BTW, do you use any of Dan Margolin's ideas in your own work, even sharpening in the Luminance channel or don't bother?

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Asher,
I do also have Dan Margulis' LAB book which is a bit of a ground-breaker. I waded into it several times when I first bought it in 2006, vowing upon each retreat to eventually plow to the end. But then something happened that made my steely resolve flaccid: Lightroom and the newer ACR utility versions.

The various subtle controls now available between these two products ("Clarity" and "Vibrance") largely avoid the need for me to dink around with LAB color, something only the most hard-core rock-and-tree snapper in a long sentence of home confinement could enjoy anyway.

So the short, honest answer is no, I do not commonly feel the need to work within the LAB color system to achieve acceptable results. I am, however, glad that I've devoted some time to studying these methods and do occasionally dabble with them. While Margulis' book is almost textbook-like I really recommend Scott's book for most people (not anticipating home confinement sentencing).