• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Qimage

Ray West

Hi,

Is anyone using qimage? I have just installed the latest version, and have forgotten much about how I was using it before. I seem to have a print with '2x2' printed in red in top lh corner on screen, and can't seem to be able to stretch the image beyond the paper size to crop to fit paper. When I started using it, a few months ago, The gui was a bit unusual? but as mentioned, I've not used it of late.

I hoped a fellow user here may have a quick answer, other than rtfm...

Best wishes,

Ray

Diane Fields

raymw said:
Hi,

Is anyone using qimage? I have just installed the latest version, and have forgotten much about how I was using it before. I seem to have a print with '2x2' printed in red in top lh corner on screen, and can't seem to be able to stretch the image beyond the paper size to crop to fit paper. When I started using it, a few months ago, The gui was a bit unusual? but as mentioned, I've not used it of late.

I hoped a fellow user here may have a quick answer, other than rtfm...

Best wishes,

Ray

Qimage has a great support system--and an email list--where Mike Chaney is quick to respond. I do use it--in fact, found I preferred it for large prints over some other methods (GF, PS bicubics) I had to do some other formatting, etc. for my graphics lab , so used 'print to file'.

As I recall--(haven't used it for awhile--I use PS for one offs)--you need to set your paper sizes in the printer (page formatting or file/printer setup) then go to size tab in right bottom and choose a preset or do a custom size. Be sure and set your color management up in Q.

D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Ray,

Qimage is fabulous. I do all my print work through it.

Your best bet in Qimage to crop an image to fit the selected print size is to have the "image fitting" button (the little scissors at the lower left of the Size tab) "down". Then when you select an image and add it to the print queue, it will be cropped (by default symmetrically) to fit the print size you have already ordained by planting a template with one of the print size buttons.

Then, in case that choice of crop isn't what you want, double click on the image in the preview pane to bring up the image editor. Under "Image effects", make sure "crop lock" is checked, and then check "Crop". You will then see how the image has been cropped, and you can change the size and placement of the crop to suit (but the aspect ratio will be locked to match the print size you have chosen).

When you are satisfied, click Done. You will be asked if you want to save what you have done. Click OK. This will not save a cropped image. Rather, it will save a "filter" file, linked to the image by filename, which holds a recipe for everuthiong you have done (in this case, established a non-default crop).

Gotta run - going to see "Bombay Dreams" at the Dallas Summer Musicals.

Later.

Diane Fields

Ah, missed the part about cropping---I crop either in my RC or PS--so I'm ready to print in Q totally and don't use it for anything more than my print app (at which it excels IMO).

D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Diane,

I crop either in my RC or PS--so I'm ready to print in Q totally and don't use it for anything more than my print app (at which it excels IMO).

The nice thing about leaving the "final" cropping for print to Qimage is that you don't have to save different versions of the image for every print aspect ratio you might want to ever use to print the image. Images for general use I crop to a "stock" aspect ratio for storage and then do the final crop in Qimage when I print (well, Qimage does all the work!).

Best regards,

Doug

John Hollenberg

Another vote for Qimage. I do my Capture sharpening using EasyS Sharpen (from www.outbackphoto.com) on a composite layer. Then when I am ready to print I let Qimage do the resizing and output sharpening. Results are fantastic. There have been some recent great additions to the Pro version of Qimage, including setting printer profile and rendering intent on a per image basis, and naming and renaming print jobs.

--John

Ray West

Thanks for your replies.

I did some tests some time ago, and found the qimage 'upsizing algorithms' were far better than the adobe ones. Once I'd got into the gui. it was nice to be just use it to print, without having to do all the printer selection/setting that cs2 needed every time. There are a few things I find awkward, at the moment trying to find what the red 2x2 thing is one. I think it may be that somewhere I set it to print over two sheets of paper or something. Possibly, I should set it back to defaults and start over.

I use Mike's profile prism, too. Worth its weight in gold (or these days printer ink).

Best wishes,

Ray

Kyle Nagel

Doug Kerr said:
Hi, Diane,

The nice thing about leaving the "final" cropping for print to Qimage is that you don't have to save different versions of the image for every print aspect ratio you might want to ever use to print the image. Images for general use I crop to a "stock" aspect ratio for storage and then do the final crop in Qimage when I print (well, Qimage does all the work!).

Best regards,

Doug

I think this is one of Qimage's best features, instead of a bunch of different saved JPEGs at various print sizes and crops, I just keep the original TIFF conversion, Qimage will re-size, sharpen, and crop at the time of printing without doing anything to the original file, best thing since sliced bread!

Kyle

D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Ray,

There are a few things I find awkward, at the moment trying to find what the red 2x2 thing is one.

Describe a little more exactly what that is and where (of course a screen shot would be the best) and I'll see if I can decipher it. (I was a bit rushed for time when I wrote you before, so I just let that pass.)

Best regards,

Doug

Ray West

Thanks for the offer, Doug.

Here is a link http://www.yertiz.com/images/twobytw0.jpg

It now says 2x1, 'though, to left top of image.

iirc, I used to be able to click on the image, and it opened in another window where I could drag the size larger than the paper - or I could be wrong. What I want to do is fill the sheet (320 *450mm). At the moment I only seem able to get it 320 wide, by about 390 high.

I'm having a momentary lapse here, I hope.

Best wishes,

Ray

Diane Fields

raymw said:

iirc, I used to be able to click on the image, and it opened in another window where I could drag the size larger than the paper - or I could be wrong. What I want to do is fill the sheet (320 *450mm). At the moment I only seem able to get it 320 wide, by about 390 high.

I'm having a momentary lapse here, I hope.

Best wishes,

Ray

Ray, I remembered something--- I believe that 2 x 2 or 2 x 1 is for a poster--over several sheets of paper. I used that at one point to do a demo shot for a client of approx what a 2' x 3' print would look like (actually 16 of them LOL) I believe you will have to go into the custom size part and change it. Open 'custom' and check your settings there--you may need to uncheck the poster and check 'fit to page' or 'specific size' and enter the size you want---and make sure you have the paper size setup to accomodate it.

Diane

Ray West

Thanks Diane,

Managed to reset it, where you said, also sorted the cropping problem. (scissors icon - crop to size or fit in frame, then zoom in the full page editor). It seems that sometimes it does not respond too quickly. Moving or stretching the frame is often difficult to catch the corner, if you know what I mean. Not helped by the long yellow pop-up strip. I'll get used to it again. One problem with this type of software, is that once you've set it as you like it, it rarely needs changing, and you forget how you did it - its not just the software, but my age, too. Now to see how to add filters, whether custom ones are possible.

Thanks again,

Best wishes,

Ray

D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Ray,

raymw said:

Yes, this indicates that you are set up to print the image on multiple sheets, using the "poster" feature. I forget how to do that or undo that! The Help facility has an extended discussion of the topic, though. Search on "poster" and then select "Learn by Example".

You can never tell the program to make the print larger than the current "printable area", unless you arrange for printing on multiple sheets by way of the poster feature. This applies to changing the planned size or location of the print by dragging in the full page editor.

But you can enlarge what Qimage considers the "printable" area by changing the page margins (Page Formatting|Page margins). Of course, not all of what you thus declare as "printable" may in fact be "printable". (In fact, the defaults on the page margins are what the printer driver reports as the standard limits of printable area for that printer and any pertinent option settings.)

Best regards,

Doug

Johnny_Johnson

raymw said:

Ray

Hi Ray,

Just a couple of observations -

If you look on the upper RH side of the screen you'll see your printer listed as an R1800. Just under that is the printable area based on the page size and options you've selected. The printable area in the case of your screen shot is 314 x 440 mm. Therefore, when you tell Qimage to print a 320 x whatever image it will naturally require two or more sheets since 320 is larger than 314.

You also say that you want to fill the sheet - 320 x 450. I'm not sure how the R1800 works but let's say that you can change the driver to borderless printing so that it can physically print 320 x 450 instead of 314 x 440 the way it is currently set up. You still wouldn't be able to print the full image at 320 x 450 mm because that's a 1.41 aspect ratio and your image file has a 1.33 aspect ratio. You would need to crop the image by depressing the scissor icon over on the lower RH side of the screen just above the "size" tab.

My suggestion would be to either leave the driver settings as they currently are and live with the standard margins or select borderless. Then, go to the icons over to the right of the print sizing buttons and select the third one down and that will bring up a menu for selecting custom sizing options. Select "Fit to page" and "auto cropping" from those options and "OK" back out. Then when you add the image to the queue it will be cropped to the correct aspect ratio and fill the printable area. Of course, you may not like the standard crop but it can be adjusted using the method previously discussed or you can turn the crop off and just not fill the length of the paper.

Later,
Johnny