• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Driving West at Sunset!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
As my wife drives, I snap at passing moments. Here are a few of the silhouettes and reflections that caught my eye.

We're on Olympic Blvd in Westwood and South of the UCLA Campus and the Bruins at Westwood Blvd!

_DSC5949_2.JPG

Now we pass an Los Angeles County fire Station Training building. The have means of igniting fires automatically to test the fireman's training, I guess!

_DSC5934_2.JPG

Churches fit in with commerce, and at sunset, everything blends to black!

_DSC5933_2.JPG

Just at Santa Monica, we see more open landscape with spaces assigned for either industrial parks or well tended lawns around massive corporate buildings.

_DSC5952_2.JPG

I will go back and add more on another day!

Asher

Chris Calohan

I find it far more amazing you could see the sunset in LA. When I was a kid, driving my newly wax big old honking, dark metallic green Dodge Charger down Hollywood Blvd just at sunset, these same scenes you've captured would reflect off the surface of my car and I can assure you, we have a shared euphoric experience. Nice memory, Asher.

James Lemon

As my wife drives, I snap at passing moments. Here are a few of the silhouettes and reflections that caught my eye.

We're on Olympic Blvd in Westwood and South of the UCLA Campus and the Bruins at Westwood Blvd!

Now we pass an Los Angeles County fire Station Training building. The have means of igniting fires automatically to test the fireman's training, I guess!

_DSC5934_2.JPG

Churches fit in with commerce, and at sunset, everything blends to black!

_DSC5933_2.JPG

I will go back and add more on another day!

Asher

Hello Asher

Some interesting exposures here. You did pretty good with those terrible wires that every one hates .The church with the strong diagonal lines and the curve of the street light is even better.

Maybe try waiting for the sun to go down below the horizon when the light will be nicely balanced and you could even try heading east next time.

Best, regards
James

Paul Abbott

Asher, I wonder why you would want to shoot from a car's window and compromise your viewpoint, framing, composition and angles etc. while actually on the road and maybe on the move...Unless you would be wanting to use the car's interior in some creative way, a la Lee Friedlander.

I see that you have framed them here, and so you show some enthusiasm in what you have photographed but without any regard to the above, I don't see what it will get you by way of an interesting photograph?!

Jarmo Juntunen

Asher, I wonder why you would want to shoot from a car's window and compromise your viewpoint, framing, composition and angles etc. while actually on the road and maybe on the move...Unless you would be wanting to use the car's interior in some creative way, a la Lee Friedlander.

I see that you have framed them here, and so you show some enthusiasm in what you have photographed but without any regard to the above, I don't see what it will get you by way of an interesting photograph?!

I'm with you Paul but I also like looking into the lives and habitat of my internet acquintances. Asher shows me a scene I'll probably never see with my own eyes.

Asher Kelman

Paul,

Your points are well made! Everyone can be held accountable for their decisions and way of working and I'm pretty open here. These are not "ideal viewpoints" but here's the rationale:

I'm a hunter! I take advantage of my odd view in the car to see things just as they appear to get the gestalt of the experience unfolding and then later on, as I'm doing with Sunset Blvd and Santa Monica Blvd, stop by and secure viewpoints and compositions I like better. Here's one example of a return visit to Sunset Blvd. So what's shown in this thread, is merely an "entertaining-reconnaissance", mapping them to ideas to my mind.

So you see my mind at work, my appetite and later on, you will see my final work with a few choices from the stream of impulses that I have collected. The other utility is that I might use silhouettes of the Fire Department's "liver fire" training building as one element in a composite. So, in a way, this is like picking up rocks on a beach.

You are more disciplined and will, for sure, find that 80 year lost and abandoned diamond ring in the sand, as you don't get distracted so much by superficial things as I do!

Still, with several studio sessions a month and lots of pictures to process, informal escape is is a treat for me.

Asher

Asher Kelman

I'm with you Paul but I also like looking into the lives and habitat of my internet acquintances. Asher shows me a scene I'll probably never see with my own eyes.

Thanks, Jarmo!

I think it might be helpful to others if we can occasionally let down out guard and share a series of real time snaps of things that get our attention. No one can fire me if I do not deliver perfect images there and then! It's just to project the mood. Wish it could be a "Sequentially yours" moment, but that's rare!

But one day it will happen, as I'll be ready! :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

Asher, the world is a visual mess and it needs tidying up and made sense of...

Your quote is still apt here!

"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt

I notice, and then come back to sort it out.

As I shared above,

"I'm a hunter! I take advantage of my odd view in the car to see things just as they appear to get the gestalt of the experience unfolding and then later on, as I'm doing with Sunset Blvd and Santa Monica Blvd, stop by and secure viewpoints and compositions I like better. Here's one example of a return visit to Sunset Blvd. So what's shown in this thread, is merely an "entertaining-reconnaissance", mapping them to ideas to my mind."

So I do return, tidy things up and try to make sense of it all.

Asher