• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Black and white....

Status
Not open for further replies.

janet Smith

pro member
112AssJS.jpg

"The Hatch" Discussed here

IMG_0007BSS.jpg

Tree stump Discussed here

IMG_0038BcleanSSJS.jpg

Lonely

IMG_0103cleanmonoJS.jpg

Isle of Skye discussed here

Firstly aplogies for posting four such varied photographs, so I posted them in Riskit, I wasn't sure where else to put them, please feel free to move them if you want.

Recently I have had to work my way through loads of my photographs, and in the process of doing so began to wonder about which would work in black and white, I worked in black and white a lot years ago, but recently I find myself thinking in black and white again.....

Here are just a few of the ones I have tried, which lead me into wondering in general terms about black and white again. We go to the far north of Scotland soon, and the weather is incredibly unpredictable up there, so working in black and white could be useful on gloomy days.

What are your thoughts about these, honestly please, don't hold back on your thoughts, good or bad, what makes them work/not work?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rod Witten

pro member
Jan,

Generally with B&W, unless you are going for low or high key presentations, full dynamic range is the goal. I like #1 the best because of it's complete range of tones.

Rod Witten

I have to agree with Rod. I like the first one the most out of the four. Especially the faint detail showing through down inside the dark hatch. I am guessing that is a hatch on a boat anyway. Maybe it is not. I try and try to make out what is down there and just cannot do it. I like that. The others are very nice to me too but they look like such beautiful places and such wonderful scenes that I just can't help but rather see and enjoy them in their full, natural colors.

James Newman

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Rod & James

Thank you both for taking the time to respond, No 1 is my favourite too, the subject matter lends itself well to b&W and yes James it is a derelict boat. No 2 - I did this conversion to b&w some time ago, I think my skills have moved on a bit since then, I may dig the original version out and have another try at it, the light was very difficult, this was shot before very heavy rain on a very cloudy day.

No's 3 is good in colour, but I thought b&w brought out more of the lonely mood in this shot.

No 4 is good in colour being a day with a deep blue sky and white fluffy clouds, but I still like this b&w version, I think if the sheep were not in the foreground it may not work though....

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Use new links for comment on pictures #1 and # 2

Picture # 1, which is so popular and ditinguished is now part of a Challenge on "Windows in Abandoned Wooden Structures" here. We'll have separate locations for the others too so that each can be discussed according to it's own built in sorts of values and focus.

Picture # 2 likewise commands attention on its own and starts a new Challenge thread Fine B&W: Stumps, Pilings, Weathered Roots and other Nature-ravished Wooden Form here.
#3 and 4 will be given fair attention shortly!

Thanks Jan for agreeing to this arrangement! You are being nice to me! :)

Asher

Jim Galli

They are all lovely of course but I am drawn to the third. Does that surprise anyone? Choosing black and white is a concious choice to leave the physical world behind and enter a more personally interpretive zone. Selective focus is a strong tool in that world. It allows our minds great freedom to make what we want out of the picture, not be locked into an illustration. It takes very little literal image to trigger that reaction. With this image I am 7 years old again going up a high sierra trail with my grandmother to see a beautiful spring. If we're quiet we may see deer before they see us and are startled.

Asher Kelman

So Jim,

What would be the title of a them for which that would be the starting image? We have placed the first two, could you come up with a heading that covers these ideas .

Asher

Asher Kelman

....through the keyhole (from Alice in Wonderland)

Then, Jim, my firend, we do as you suggest, "....through the keyhole" it shall be! Here it is now in ....through the keyhole! So pictures 1-3 are discussed in their own threads, not here! Do not post here unless for #4, The Lake!

We still need to give attention to Jan's last picture and that is now located to a thread devoted this, "Fine B&W Wide vista Landscapes With Clouds" here :)

So this thread is now closed! Thanks Jan!!!!!

Asher

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.