• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Recent geotagging innovation

Nice one, Bart!
I like the idea of capturing the "raw" GPS data and postponing the decoding until later.
Hopefully it will wind its way into DSLR, not only into P&S

I like the idea of capturing the "raw" GPS data and postponing the decoding until later.

Yes, that's what struck me as innovative. Of course it does require a connection to their servers to be able and later decipher the positions of the satellites as recorded at the time of shooting, but it's technically possible to set that up in a reliable fashion. There may also be some other implementation issues, but the concept looks good.

Bart

I thought this one was pretty clever..
http://photofinder.atpinc.com/how.html
It only supports jpeg files. If it did Canon raw it would be really useful. It takes sd cards, but you can plug a card reader into it to use CF. That's clever also.
Duke,
that "sync by timestamp" approach was there for ages. There are tons of GPS devices, large and small, that can be used in such manner. The matching software can be even smart enough to let you adjust time difference later, so you don't have to to this silly "set your camera to UTC time" routine.
The advantage of geotate device is that it's easy for a camera manufacturer to build it in, thus totaly avoiding the need of toting extra device.
That, of course, requires a new purchase - but don't we all love getting the new toys anyway? ;-)

Jörgen Nyberg

To Duke:

I think Jobo's hotshoe-mounted looks interesting (as long as one isn't using flash).
They claim one year battery life.
Ohh, and support for raw aswell.

The thing I though was clever is that it does the photo tagging without a computer.. Done in the unit. Of course it is a two step thing.. you have to put the card in the unit then read it into your computer for post. oh well.. the more toys the better :)
I have a Garmin 76CSx that works great. Just need some software to do the sync.